VLOOKUP in Multiple Columns - Is it Possible?

RBusiness

Board Regular
Hey folks,

Is it possible to do a vlookup in multiple columns and when there's eventually match, the same column index would apply therefore pulling in the respective data?
If so, how would you do that? I appreciate your help, this is the second gnarly one I had this week.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Not really sure what you mean. I think it would be helpful to see a sample of your data and expected results.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
LIST 1ValuesLIST 2Values
Widget1111Cridget555
Slidget2222Snigget666
Ridget3333Pigget777
Fidget4444Blidget888

Say I have maximum rows possible in excel and need additional columns and make two lists.
If I want to find the value for "pigget" can a do so with a VLOOK that Looks in List 1 AND List two and then when it finds a word or query, it moves over one cell and grabs the data?

Upvote 0
Not really sure what you mean. I think it would be helpful to see a sample of your data and expected results.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.
I will certainly check that out.

Upvote 0
You could do two separate VLOOKUPS and combine them together, i.e. structured like this:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(...),"") & IFERROR(VLOOKUP(...),"")
Note that it will return an empty string for the one it does not find. So if there is exactly one match, it will return that match and the empty string sewn together.

However, if you have over a million rows of data and are trying to do lookups on them, I think you are probably using the wrong tool for the task.
What that would describe is a relational database model, and a database program like Microsoft Access, SQL, MySQL, or Oracle would probably handle this more gracefully than Excel, which will probably start having performances issues as the size of your data increases.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you. I truly appreciate your help. I will certainly explore Access in the near future. I just love excel - so I try with it as much as I can. :)

Upvote 0
Thank you. I truly appreciate your help. I will certainly explore Access in the near future. I just love excel - so I try with it as much as I can. :)
You are welcome!

I love Excel too, but sometimes it isn't the best tool for the job!
When you get to large amounts of data and lookups across data sets, it will start to get clunky and slow.
The thing that many people get confused about is that Access is NOT an extension of Excel - it is a very different program and serves an entirely different purpose than Excel.
While you can "brute force" into using Excel like a Relational Database, it is not what it was designed for, so performance and ease of use take a hit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back