Vlookup Issue

Tico6136

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
This appears to be a simple question but I am not sure why when I use the lookup function in Excel it does not display the correct value. For instance, when I select the cell that contains the list (text) and pick an item from it to display the corresponding value from the adjacent column, it works for the first (3) items but not for the fourth one. However, when I replace the text with a number, it works fine

HighProximal
MediumZone
ModerateConfirmation
LowPass

When I use the vlookup function and pick High, it displays Proximal, etc, until I select Low - instead of displaying Pass, it displays Proximal. I am not sure why. However, when I replace the text in the left - High, Medium, etc with a number - 1, 2, etc. the function works fine. Can you assist me as to why this is the case? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Without seeing the formula, my best guess is that you haven't included the last argument which is exact or approximate match

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
Without seeing the formula, my best guess is that you haven't included the last argument which is exact or approximate match
Thank you for the quick response. I have included the Mini-sheet so you can see exactly what I am seeing. I will certainly appreciate the feedback since I am baffled and don't know the reason unless there is a quirk in my formula, not sure. Thanks.

Vlookup Sheet.xlsx
ABCDEF
1HighProximal
2Entry GuidanceLowMediumZone
3Type of EntryProximalModerateConfirmation
4LowPass
VlookUp
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=VLOOKUP(C2,E1:F4,2)
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C2List=$E$1:$E$4

Upvote 0
As I suspect, you have not included the 4th argument in your formula, therefore it's doing an approximate match & for that to work your data has to be sorted A-Z
Try adding the 4th argument as 0

Upvote 0
Solution
As I suspect, you have not included the 4th argument in your formula, therefore it's doing an approximate match & for that to work your data has to be sorted A-Z
Try adding the 4th argument as 0
Thank you so much, that certainly did the trick. Really appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back