VLOOKUP + INDIRECT overlap (maybe not possible)

TXNCPO

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Tired and frustrated at my inability when I thought I had an understanding of these two functions (VLOOKUP & INDIRECT)

Maybe trying to overlap two functions that cannot be?

The image attached is what I'm putting in E7.

What works,
Whatever is selected in E7 is what the VLOOKUP used to fill in the fields in Column G and display the risk values to the right (setup up with conditional formatting)

The functionality I'm trying to add is using field B7 as a pick list, to place only the HARs for that hull, available in the field in E7 as a dropdown (pulled from the Database tab). (cascading) I do understand, (I think) that "INDIRECT" is the function I most like want to use, and am successfully using on the database tab in Columns M thru P. I have a basic grasp on how to use VLOOKUP and INDIRECT, but maybe i'm trying to combine somethings that can't ?

The whole of the Database tab IS a table, so that the VLOOKUP functions,

Attachments

• excel_snapshot.jpg
    excel_snapshot.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Please use the xl2bb add in to post a mini sheet of your data? If you can't use that please post a table (column and row letters numbers, as well).
I'm not really sure what youre trying to validate. and where you're using the data in that cell.

you may have the DV set up correctly, but your formula could be wrong?

Upvote 0
Please use the xl2bb add in to post a mini sheet of your data? If you can't use that please post a table (column and row letters numbers, as well).
I'm not really sure what youre trying to validate. and where you're using the data in that cell.

you may have the DV set up correctly, but your formula could be wrong?
Thank you, I forgot. Will do tonight, office computer doesn't like the xl2bb thing

Upvote 0
You can still post as a table. It isn't the most preferred method, but it is much better than images.

Upvote 0
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: VLOOKUP & INDIRECT (maybe can't)
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
You can still post as a table. It isn't the most preferred method, but it is much better than images.
Made it home, but apparently to stupid to figure out the XLB22 (I remember I had trouble with it before also. MrExcel MVP Moderator posted my cross-link in the next post down. if you want to see what I was asking and the original file. Mr. Kennedy did provide a solution on the other forum, i'm watching You Tube videos now to try and fully understand syntax,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back