VLOOKUP - One Criteria but having multiple table arrays

mystic42

Hi

I am trying unsuccessfully to do a Vlookup based on one lookup_value but looking into multiple columns on different worksheets.

The Lookup value is usually a text string concatenate several text and number cells together A1&B1&D1
125Apples55000 then find out if this string is present in sheet1 Column B or Sheet2 Column S ect.
If found in any column I want to return only the one result, if True 125Apples55000 or if False #N/A (or " not found")

If you have a better solution than Vlookup let me know, as I'm opened to suggestions

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thans

Andrea:LOL:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi Andrea,

So you don't want to know in which sheet / which column it finally found ? :)

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Hi DILIPandey

It would have been good but I didn't want to complicate my request to much. Yes it would be good but it would be happy if I had a formula that did basically the trick.

Regards

Andrea

Upvote 0
Okay.. those other sheets have data like :-

125Apples55000

or
125 Apples 55000 all three in separate columns ?

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
The concatenated string always has the same format in the various columns in separate sheets. However the exact same entry such as 125Apples55000 would be maybe only ins sheet2 column C but not in sheet1, it would be highly unlikely for there to be 125Apples55000 in sheet1 column B as well. I am trying to ensure that our internal accounts match those of external reports. Which is why I wanted to have the internal sheet checking to see if the corresponding cell was found in one of the external sheets within the same workbook.

Regards

Andrea

Upvote 0
However the exact same entry such as 125Apples55000 would be maybe only ins sheet2 column C

whole string "125Apples55000" or just a string part like 125 or Apples or 55000 would be there in column C ??

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Okay, Use the function as "=exists(a1)" without quotes where a1 is string you wish to search in entire workbook but first copy this code in a module:-

Function exists(text)
'created by DILIPandey
Application.Volatile
For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
If Sheet.Name <> ActiveSheet.Name Then
Set a = Sheets(Sheet.Name).Cells.Find(text)
If Not a Is Nothing Then
exists = a
End If
End If
Next
End Function

To create module-> press alt + F11 from excel window, press alt + i +m, paste this code.\

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Thanks DILIPandey

But in both Excel 2003 & 2010 in the cell that has the formula =exists(A1) it always returns the value 0 ,in both instances where the duplicate value of A1 is in another worksheet or not.

Regards

Andrea

Upvote 0
Okay... are you sure that value of a1 is there in other sheet i.e., it is exactly same ? Can you check using Exact function ?

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Healthydogs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back