VLOOKUP - return value from alternate sheet on match and specific text when no match

hbhowser

Hello Everyone!

I've searched and tried a number of variations of functions but am not getting a consistent result.
I'm hoping that there is some excel magic out there and I'm thinking that it's not too difficult but I can't seem to resolve.

The below function searches for the value in A2 in sheet '2016-2017'!A:B and returns the value from B when the name matches.
=VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,TRUE)

My challenge is when there is no match on the name in A2, I would like to return "Need #" to the primary sheet.

I've tried IFERROR, MATCH, etc and am not getting the syntax correct.

Any/all suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thank you

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hello,

does this work as expected?

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,0)),"Need",VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,0))

Upvote 0
You need to to do FALSE for the last argument or else it will almost always return a solution, which is why your IFERROR wasnt running so it should be something like this

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE),"Need #")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hia & welcome to the board
how about this

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE)),"need#",VLOOKUP(A2,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE))

Beaten to it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@hbhowser

Is '2016-2017'!A:B sorted in ascending order on column A? This question is triggered by the fact that you specify as match-type in your VLOOKUP...

Upvote 0
@hbhowser

Is '2016-2017'!A:B sorted in ascending order on column A? This question is triggered by the fact that you specify as match-type in your VLOOKUP...

Thanks for the reply!
It is. I've made a bit of progress but the function is still flaky. I've removed the MATCH and am now using...

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A628,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE), "Need #")

I'm trying to check sheet 2016-2017 for the name in A628. If the complete name exists, return the value in B (which is a number). If the complete name does not exist, return the text "Need #". What I'm finding is that if the complete name doesn't exist - it finds the next best thing and returns that number. I'm think that I'm close but it's not working 100%.

Thanks again for the reply!

Upvote 0
I apologize for being a newbie here. I see multiple options that I'm going to try now.
MUCH appreciated!

Upvote 0
Use the IFERROR not the IFISERROR - that is the long winded way - the IFERROR formula is quite new so a lot of people that haven't retrained use the old method - the ISERROR is much better and quicker. Also, if using TRUE yes the data does need to be sorted by the first column. if you use a FALSE then you do not. Good luck

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you!
I've replace my last function with =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A8,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE)),"Need#",VLOOKUP(A8,'2016-2017'!A:B,2,FALSE)) ... and it's working.
Again - much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back