Web query basics

touque

Board Regular
I am trying to create a web query of a site showing Masters scorecards.
I have only created one query some years ago which was also for the Masters tourney but nothing since. Tried a couple times without success.
So I found a good site showing all players scores for every hole but when I copy the url and try to paste it in the box (after hitting "Get Data", "Other Sources", "Web site") it just keeps spinning with "Connecting" message then eventually timing out.
How do I get around this? I am retrieving from Edge.

Can't test that, but I hope that approach works. Still, the scores OP wants must be calculated. Unless that tool can do the browser automation and wait until the content is loaded, it probably could.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Can't test that, but I hope that approach works. Still, the scores OP wants must be calculated. Unless that tool can do the browser automation and wait until the content is loaded, it probably could.
Actually, Power Query is a very powerful tool. I'm only familiar with the basics, but I'm fairly certain it can handle most tasks, including this one. Personally, since I'm familiar VBA, I would use it instead of Power Query. :)

Upvote 0
Actually, Power Query is a very powerful tool. I'm only familiar with the basics, but I'm fairly certain it can handle most tasks, including this one. Personally, since I'm familiar VBA, I would use it instead of Power Query. :)
I was hesitating about writing the code for this particular thread because it requires knowledge about HTTP, JSON, dictionaries, loops, objects, etc. It's too advanced and it could be much worse if I nested some loops, but if PQ can do it, better for the OP.

Upvote 0
I was hesitating about writing the code for this particular thread because it requires knowledge about HTTP, JSON, dictionaries, loops, objects, etc. It's too advanced and it could be much worse if I nested some loops, but if PQ can do it, better for the OP.
I initially was going to first address Power Query, and then I was going to offer a VBA solution. But since you offered a VBA solution, I only addressed Power Query. :cool:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back