Web scraping

fredrerik84

Hi guys.
I have some problems with IE on win 7, 64bit. There are some sites that have lots of java and flash content. when I open them in IE these sites shows only a blank screen (both IE10 and IE11). I've tried to change security settings in IE to get it to display these sites but so far nothing works :/ Also tried reinstal Flash, Java and IE. Also tested on another system but same result there. Then I tested microsoft Edge and these sites loaded correctly here. Question(s) are

* if I use the same script/macro I have built to work for win 7 - will this open microsoft Edge on win 10 systems ?

* If not is possible to rewrite the codes without much hassle ?

* Are there any alternate option I can use to fetch data from these sites I only know how to load IE , would be nice to not upgrade windows..

Best regards frederik

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
If you have a excel macro calling these web pages, it does not use your installed browser, it uses the internal web browser in excel.
This is based on IE 7 as far as I recall, so you 'll have difficulties loading modern pages with it.

Upvote 0
Yes that is exactly the problem. Im looking into new solutions but i'm a bit lost. Any further reading pages or samples to load like you say "modern web pages" would be great.

I tried to look into using chrome. but was only able to get this little line of code

Code:
   URL = "https://www.google.com/"
   chromePath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
   Shell (chromePath & " -url " & URL)

But how to actual extract anything from the chrome page I dont know how to do.
I read something about msxml2 which might be the way to go. any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just tried. this particular page has both Java and flash and can not be viewed in IE on my 2 systems at least even site support said tha its not friendly for IE and should be viewed in FF or chrome.

I tried like this:

Code:
    Dim IE As New InternetExplorerMedium

Upvote 0
I just tried. this particular page has both Java and flash and can not be viewed in IE on my 2 systems at least even site support said tha its not friendly for IE and should be viewed in FF or chrome.

I tried like this:

Code:
    Dim IE As New InternetExplorerMedium

Yeah, IE sucks...at my old job I spent two days figuring out alternate code to ensure pages displayed properly for IE...it's a terrible, terrible browser that needs to go away ASAP...although EDGE is pretty good actually...

Upvote 0
- I just read an artical about what you are saying. I guess IE is coders nightmare -
but you are right about edge, it is actually pretty good. Edge loaded this page with no problem. but its my understanding it does not work with vba coding ?

I find it pretty strange that if I buy new system with windows 7 and IE - It really should work right out of the box. But the fastest and most reliable solution is to download 3rd party software like chrome or firefox. I would expect more from a corporation like Microsoft.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back