Weekly rotating names in calendar year

Lindap7575

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This may be way over my excel knowledge, but I have 13 names that I need to rotate in a calendar year - our weeks start on Friday and end on Friday. I honestly don't know where or how to begin, and I have been searching and reading and can't find a simple tool to create this? Is there something that can create this rotating schedule? Technically each person shouldn't have to be on call 1 x per 13 weeks, but due to holidays it gets adjusted, so the same people do not have the holiday year after year. Is there a simple tutorial I should be looking up to do this? Thank you! :)

I would like the beginning date to start with Jan of the previous year and the last date to go into January of the sequent year.
Let's review this finer point. I believe you mentioned that the work week begins on a Friday, and for any year-ending week that happens to spill over into the following year....that week "belongs" to the earlier year (when it's Friday occurred). When this happens, the January 1 and January 2 holidays for the subsequent year might actually belong to the earlier year, correct? So additional logic is needed to filter out holidays that might fall in the prior year's scheduling calendar.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I just realized...I don't believe you are the Original Poster, so what I said about "you mentioned that the work week begins on a Friday" may not be correct. To avoid this type of confusion, it would have been better to initiate a new question to explain what you want to do, and then link to this thread to explain the similarities and the desired adjustments to accommodate your circumstances. To link to the thread, hover over the Share icon in the upper right of the posting window (resembles a less than symbol < with small circles for the end points and vertex) and copy the URL link that appears...and paste that into your post. You could also tag me in such a post (type an @ sign followed by my user name and you'll see a filtered list of users to select from) so that I would receive an alert about a pending request for help related to this earlier one. This is all moot at this point, but moving forward...

So let's recap...could you describe when the work weeks begin? I don't know if your scheduling needs simply look at the year (strictly 1/1/yyyy - 12/31/yyyy) or if the scheduling year floats somewhat based on a particular start day for work weeks. If the latter, then some adjustments are necessary for your scheduling calendar.

Regarding the desire to "not cluster" employees, are you okay with repeating the sequence of employees, or do you want to randomize them? Repeating the sequence is defensible in that noone works consecutive dates in the list, and the spacing between everyone's scheduled dates is the same. If you "randomize" this will not be the case, as there is a chance that the same individual works consecutive weekends, etc.

Reactions: Luu
Upvote 1
I just realized...I don't believe you are the Original Poster, so what I said about "you mentioned that the work week begins on a Friday" may not be correct. To avoid this type of confusion, it would have been better to initiate a new question to explain what you want to do, and then link to this thread to explain the similarities and the desired adjustments to accommodate your circumstances. To link to the thread, hover over the Share icon in the upper right of the posting window (resembles a less than symbol < with small circles for the end points and vertex) and copy the URL link that appears...and paste that into your post. You could also tag me in such a post (type an @ sign followed by my user name and you'll see a filtered list of users to select from) so that I would receive an alert about a pending request for help related to this earlier one. This is all moot at this point, but moving forward...

So let's recap...could you describe when the work weeks begin? I don't know if your scheduling needs simply look at the year (strictly 1/1/yyyy - 12/31/yyyy) or if the scheduling year floats somewhat based on a particular start day for work weeks. If the latter, then some adjustments are necessary for your scheduling calendar.

Regarding the desire to "not cluster" employees, are you okay with repeating the sequence of employees, or do you want to randomize them? Repeating the sequence is defensible in that noone works consecutive dates in the list, and the spacing between everyone's scheduled dates is the same. If you "randomize" this will not be the case, as there is a chance that the same individual works consecutive weekends, etc.
Hello Kirk, the way the formula is set up now seems to be working great for my needs at this time. I apologize for not creating a new post, as a new member I didn't think about that but will do so moving forward. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Great to hear, and I'm happy to help. I was confused about your particular problem...sounds like you want dates that fall strictly within the calendar year. I was working on some adjustments to accommodate weeks that spill into the next year, but I don't think that applies in your case.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back