What does { } mean at the beginning and end of a formula

JSlad

I've entered a formula a number of months ago that when you tab into it, it shows { } at the beginning and end. When I click into the cell that contains the formula they disappear and I have no idea how to get them back and the formula no longer works.

When I manually add them the whole formula shows but as text and nothing calculates.

Any guidance is appreciated.:)

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I've entered a formula a number of months ago that when you tab into it, it shows { } at the beginning and end. When I click into the cell that contains the formula they disappear and I have no idea how to get them back and the formula no longer works.

When I manually add them the whole formula shows but as text and nothing calculates.
You should not manually enter them... Excel places them around your formula when you commit the formula using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (not just Enter by itself)... that keystroke combination tells Excel the formula is an "array formula" that it has to iterate the cell ranges individually, cell-by-cell in order to build up the calculation for the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back