What I would like to see in Excel 2016

Specify it's a Text field in the last step of the dialog.

As 2016 is out today, it will be interesting to see how many, if any, of these wishes have come true. Or perhaps just rename the thread to refer to the "next version of Office" instead... ;)

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Excel 2016 under Options needs a "Turn Off Date Function" selection.

Here's what my data as text looks like:

Code:
-9999   -9999
189  6  239  6
222  6-9999
272  6  272  6
322  6-9999
350  6  333  6
267  6  272  6
156  6-9999
100  6  156  6
128  6-9999

Here's what it looks like after I paste it into Cell A1 and do a text to columns:

Code:
-9    999   -9999
189    6  239  6
222    Jun-99
272    6  272  6
322    Jun-99
350    6  333  6
267    6  272  6
156    Jun-99
100    6  156  6
128    Jun-99

Is there anyway I can turn off Excel's automatic date function?

It is driving me crazy!

Specify the column as text in the 3rd step of the Text to Columns Wizard.

Dom

Specify the column as text in the 3rd step of the Text to Columns Wizard.

Dom
Thanks for the suggestions.

When your column of data is several hundred lines and only a few get interpreted as dates, and you did't notice and you've got 20 columns of crap and you don't know which ones Excel will screw up and you don't want to go through the hassle of making everything text so the formulas don't work and then trying to get them back formatted as numbers and they show up as dates again, it really gets frustrating. An option to turn off the date function would really be nice.

OK, for next version of Office.

The general rule of thumb has been if it can be done in a formula, do it in a formula because it's faster than VBA, even if a VBA solution is easier and/or quicker to write.

My thought, since the .xlsm format is essentially a .zip file, is that Excel could compile VBA code on Save and keep the high-level VBA file separate along with a compiled version of the same thing. Then Excel always runs the compiled version so that it runs faster while still allowing you to edit your program.

Last edited:
My thought, since the .xlsm format is essentially a .zip file, is that Excel could compile VBA code on Save and keep the high-level VBA file separate along with a compiled version of the same thing. Then Excel always runs the compiled version so that it runs faster while still allowing you to edit your program.

No way that MS are going to do anything to change the VBA world other than adding to the object model.

theBardd:
I don't think they'll ever fix my issue with Outlook either but if you're gonna dream, dream big.

Last edited:
If you have more than 9 items on the QAT then they will be assigned slightly longer shortcuts (eg Alt-0C), but in a pattern. To see the keystrokes that go with the Alt, just press the Alt key and look at the QAT.

That is excellent! Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayEggleton

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back