Where is the best place to export code modules on a Win 10 machine

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
On my old XP machine, I used to export code modules to BAS files in \Program Files\VBA Archive.

Is that the best place to put them on Win 10?

And wherever it is, is there a way that I can get the VBA IDE to default to that location so I don't have to navigate to it each time and remember where it is?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Personally I would save them into a folder within MyDocuments.
Also I've always found that The Editor remembers where I last exported a module to & defaults to that.

Upvote 0
Solution
Personally I would save them into a folder within MyDocuments.
That's also what I was thinking. It is my understanding that the recommendation is to keep code and data in completely separate folders. But .bas files are kinda half code and half data.

In Win 10, it is now just "Documents". They have ditched the "My".

Also I've always found that The Editor remembers where I last exported a module to & defaults to that.
That's what I thought, too, but it seems that it only remembers for as long as I have it open. When I close it, the next time I open it, it seems to have no memory. I'll play with it some more to see for sure.

Thanks

Upvote 0
In Win 10, it is now just "Documents". They have ditched the "My".
Agreed, I'm just used to thinking of it as "My documents", old habits etc.
I like to keep all my files separate, so I have a folder for Xl, files, one for Access etc. And have set my default path in Xl to where the files are & inside that I have another folder for macros.
That maybe the reason it always takes me to where I want to store the Bas files.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I'm just used to thinking of it as "My documents", old habits etc.
I like to keep all my files separate, so I have a folder for Xl, files, one for Access etc. And have set my default path in Xl to where the files are & inside that I have another folder for macros.
That maybe the reason it always takes me to where I want to store the Bas files.
You keep all of your Excel workbooks in one folder? How does that work?

I have my folders organized by project and those by type of project. I will often have several types of files associated with a project (Excel, Word, Visio, graphics files, etc.) and I like to keep them all together. This system allows me to make backups by adding a timestamp to the filename. If I am working on XYZ.xlsx and I decide to make some significant change, I first make a copy and change the filename to XYZ.20200430 0632.xlsx. That system allows me to have more than one backup on the same day and they sort nicely. In a complex or difficult project, I might have 20 such backups or more. Then, if I have a problem with my changes, I can go back to a previous version or open it up and copy something forward or just take a look to remind myself of how I did it in that version.

If I moved all of the Excel files to one folder, I'd never be able to find anything and that folder would be huge. I just did a quick search for *.xls*. It found 1600 files.

ymmv

Upvote 0
Being unemployed, I'm not working with customers/projects etc, so I find simpler to keep all Xl files together.
In my last job, it was different & then files were located in folders for each customer, with sub folders below that.

Upvote 0
Is there any consensus or standard on where to put code backup folders? Should I create a folder structure like this?

VBA Code:
\Documents
   \VBA Archive
      \Access
      \Excel
      \Outlook
      \Word

Or is there something better?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back