why is my vlookup not working?!

bigdan

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I can do this manually as well so if we can't figure out the answer, no big deal, but since I do this monthly it'd be nice to figure out what's up. Plus it's a good opportunity to learn.

I've attached a pic.

Col A has a bunch of numbers. Col B does a lookup. The lookup works fine until row 113, row 114 onwards it cant find anything, so it returns OTHER.

For A114 onwards I've entered the figures in manually, ie hardcoded. I assume that's part of the problem. For A113 and above the numbers are formula driven, as can be seen in the formula bar. Another indicator of the problem is that A113 and above and aligned left, A114 and below are aligned right. But as you can see, A113 and A114 are the same number.

Can anyone advise why B113 is giving the correct answer (Toshiba) but B114 isnt? The formula is the same in both ie in all of Col B.

Attachments

• excel imgur.PNG
    excel imgur.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
managed to solve it guys. thanks anyway!

i first typed in =A113=A114 and the result was false, which showed me (or rather confirmed to me) that even though the value is the same, there's something about these 2 cells that Excel's treating differently.

then i assumed that when Col A is in Text form, the vlookup works. so i converted A114 to text to see if that works, and it did. I converted to text by typing in =text(A114,"0"), then took that result and pasted values into A114. solved!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterzim

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back