Windows 10, Office 365 - XLSB files will not open in Windows start menu

Bilingual

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, i have a huge problem with my xlsb files, i am not able to open them from the Windows start menu, they have a blank icon and Windows tells me they are moved or deleted, despite they are not and when i click on the files directly they open with no problem.

You can see whats happened here:

Has anybody a suggestion to what i can do?

Unavngivet.png

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
If you're 100% sure that the path for the links in the shortcut are correct, then right-click on the actual file, choose 'Open With', 'Choose another app.' Select Excel and check the 'Always use this app to open .xlsb files'

Note that the links in your shortcut menu above could be pointing to temp files, especially if you opened the file directly from an email or any other source that actually provides you with a temporary copy of the file.

Upvote 0
If you're 100% sure that the path for the links in the shortcut are correct, then right-click on the actual file, choose 'Open With', 'Choose another app.' Select Excel and check the 'Always use this app to open .xlsb files'

Note that the links in your shortcut menu above could be pointing to temp files, especially if you opened the file directly from an email or any other source that actually provides you with a temporary copy of the file.
Hi the XLSB files are already set as Excel and unfortunately i can not change to another.

Upvote 0
And you confirmed the shortcuts are to the actual files, not to temp files?
You could try a repair on Microsoft Office.

Upvote 0
Hey, this is an on going problem with many of my colleagues too. It seems to be a problem with windows 10 which is affecting a certain phase of people. But dont worry every problem had a definite workaround.

In Windows 10, I found the most practical way to quick access certain documents is via context menu.
Quickest is if you pin Word (not a document) to Taskbar, and by right click on it you have a list of documents. You can pin any document in list - it will appear on the top and stay there.
It is the same for Start menu. Right click on Word tile it will give you context menu with recent files

Try this out, will workout for you and do the work what you need.
Hope this helps you out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back