Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade

Smitty

Legend
OK,

I happened to get a copy of Vista Ultimate by attending a Microsoft Live Launch event and figured I'd put it on my wife's new laptop as I can't use it at work and don't see any reason for free software to go to waste.

Holy Crapoly Batman, don't do that unless you want to completely FUBAR yourself. The install didn't give me any warning, but it unregisters all of your existing applications and moves everything to a Windows.old folder, which you then have to broswe through and move all of your stuff to the "new" Windows folder in order to get it to work. And don't forget to go turn off Vista's nifty security features in order to do so. ;) Otherwise you'll be pestered with Insufficient Permission errors; I get those at work, I don't want it on a non-corporate machine! (Note that you'll need to restart in order to apply the unrestricted settings).

Oh yeah, you have to re-register some apps, but not others...

And Office gets completly FUBAR'd. When I try to open Excel (or anything else) from the Windows.old folder I get: "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application". Hmmm...You'd think it'd know why.

OK, so I guess I'll spend the better part of the day rebuilding this **** thing.

Now go figure that MS has FREE technical support for the Vista OS until March 2009! I actually had a tech suppport guy remote into the laptop this morning find the missing Office files and tell me that I had to reinstall Office, but couldn't tell me why...Yes it was an outsource shop if anyone's wondering. "All of your documents will be retained, but you will need to reinstall Office in order to use them..."

Do the Windows guys have it out for the Office guys? "Hey Bob, I know what, let's make the Office guys pay for beating us in the softball league last year...We'll make Office useless when you upgrade Windows...That'll get 'em!"

I don't so much mind reconfiguring a PC, but if you're gonna' **** me you **** well better kiss me first! I am really pissed off at the lack of documentation on this, so I just wanted to let any potential upgraders know what you're in for before you try it.

Of course there's every possibility that I'm just an idiot and did it wrong, in which case none of you need to worry in the least about upgrading to Vista Ultimate! :)

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back