WORKDAY function: how does [days] work

Jess UK

Column A is the duration of each phase of a job in days. Column B is Start date for each phase. Column C has the following formula:
=(WORKDAY.INTL(B1,A1,11))

1 6-Mar 7-Mar
3 8-Mar 12-Mar
4 13-Mar 17-Mar
3 18-Mar 21-Mar
3 22-Mar 26-Mar
3 27-Mar 30-Mar
1 31-Mar 2-Apr

I would like a value of one in Column A to show the same date in Column C as Column B, because it only takes one day. When using the cells above to project into a calendar, 24 work days are shown, instead of 18 (the sum of Column A). I tried to rectify this by using a 'helper column' that -1 from each of the working days. This returns the dates as I would like them (start and finish dates for phase one now both being 5-Mar and so on).

0 6-Mar 6-Mar
2 7-Mar 9-Mar
3 10-Mar 14-Mar
2 15-Mar 17-Mar
2 18-Mar 20-Mar
2 21-Mar 23-Mar
0 24-Mar 24-Mar

When the data is projected into the calendar if the start day is a Sunday e.g March 18, things get thrown off. A day is missed. The calendar says 2 days worked, 19th and 20th when as you can see above the phase is actually supposed to take 3 working days.

The formula I am using in for the calendar projection is:
=IF(AND(V$2>=$G16,V$2<=$H16),$A16,"")
where V2 is the date in the calendar, G is the start date, H is the end date as calculated above and A is the information to be displayed in the calendar for that day.

Any ideas? If you need to see more of the spreadsheet let me know.

Hello Ron,

I believe the -1 was being applied to the number of days and in that scenario it didn't work when the start date was a Sunday..... but the trick is to apply -1 to the start date, that should work in every situation, whether the start date is a Sunday or not.

That will give the following results which I believe are the required ones

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 174pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=232 border=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 62pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3035" width=83><COL style="WIDTH: 64pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3108" width=85><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" width=64 height=20>Duration</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 62pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" width=83>Start Date</TD><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 64pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" width=85>End Date</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" height=20>1</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">6-Mar-12</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">6-Mar-12</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" height=20>3</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">8-Mar-12</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">10-Mar-12</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD class=xl63 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 15pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b" height=20>3</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">18-Mar-12</TD><TD class=xl64 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c4d79b">21-Mar-12</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The above uses the following formula for End Date

=WORKDAY.INTL(B2-1,A2,11)

The principle being that by subtracting 1 the start date will be counted as the first workday, if it's a working day, but not if it's a Sunday

To do the same in earlier versions is not simple, this formula should do it, though

=B2-1-WEEKDAY(B2-1,3)+INT(7/6*(A2+MIN(5,WEEKDAY(B2-1,3))))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Thank you Barry. Jess will hopefully confirm it with his data & then he'll be able to plug in holidays. In 2007 I was able to get it to work with a formula similar to yours, but it was quite complicated and a lot of trial & error before I got it to work.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure your version will work for all values, e.g. if the start date is a Saturday and the days to add is 8 your formula returns a Sunday date :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back