Working out "weeks cover"

sheepshagarmy

Hi all,

Using the very simplified and cut down (and I don't run a fruit stall!!!) version of a purchasing sheet that I am trying to improve for someone, I was wondering if I could have some advice please...

It's very simple, they use this sheet to decide what stock to buy. Opening stock minus expected sales plus what's planned to be purchase this week gives an expected opening stock next week (week 2 below). They then use the weeks cover section to work out what they think they need to buy next week (and so on - they do this for 12 weeks at a time). At the moment the weeks cover is the opening stock divided by the expected sales - so how many weeks are covered if that was the sale every week.

I've challenged them on this because the weekly sales are not flat - seasonal uplifts, promos, events etc are fed in via a completely separate system by the commercial guys. This gives an obscured view of the week cover. I would like to put in a formula to the weeks cover section that looks to the following weeks sales and provide an accurate weeks cover based on the sales pattern. For example, below Lemons show 2 weeks cover because week 2 sales are 2 (cell G2 below), but if week 3's sales were 25, then having 2 wouldn't be enough despite the weeks cover on wk 2 showing them that it is.

So I somehow need the formula to go and look at the following weeks and return a weeks cover value that covers the actual expected sales and only up that point - if you see what I mean...?

In my head, I would imagine that some IF and AND formulas would be appropriate but cant seem to get my head round the best way around

Help much be much appreciated!

SSA

O/S wk 1Sales wk 1Purchase wk 1O/S wk 2Sales wk 2WEEKS COVER wk 2Purchase wk 2O/S wk 3
Lemons42242268
Apples843732.348
Pears644641.546

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back