Wrap Data to Multiple Columns with a twist

forbrgtd71

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
If something similar has already been posted, I didn't spot it.

I am trying to update a spreadsheet that others will maintain. So I need it to be easy to use.

It has a Master List on 1 tab, the Master list is then sliced and diced on the 2 other tabs. Tab 2 is by Name, divided into columns and tab 3 is sorted by region. See attached photos of each sheet.

I'm hoping to make is so that only the Master List is updated when things change and the other tabs update from that.

For the Tab sorted by Region I have figured out how to do it using "Filter". It works, till you have to add or remove a Contact. Not the easiest for novice excel users to maintain, so I'm open to suggestions of a better way.

The one I haven't figured out is how to do the tab sorted by Name. Currently I'm using a vlookup but if a row is added or deleted, the formulas need to be updated. I tried to use the "How to Wrap Date to Multiple Columns in Excel", podcast 2194 WrapThem vba code. But I haven't figured out how to set the lookup range to be on a different tab. Again any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• Master list.GIF
    Master list.GIF
    26.6 KB · Views: 4
  • List by Region.GIF
    List by Region.GIF
    14.8 KB · Views: 5
  • List by Name.GIF
    List by Name.GIF
    30.5 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Have you tried using Pivot Tables / Power Pivot for this?

If you put the Master List into a table and add to the Power Pivot data model, you can use a regular pivot table to accomplish Tab #2, and you can use a "Flattened Pivot Table" to accomplish Tab #3 fairly easily. The layout might be slightly different, but should accomplish the same thing.

When the data changes, the user would have to use Data > Refresh to update the tables, but most people can handle that step.

Here is what I created pretty quickly:

Screenshot 2022-08-30 172637.png

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response.

I guess I should have given a little more detail. Currently I have about 300 companies, 7 regions, and 30 contacts.

For the list by Region I have other information that needs to be included, email address, phone numbers, instant messenger name, etc, not just a raw list. I've attached a more complete picture of what we are using now. The format can be changed, just need an easy way to maintain it. Here's the equation I'm using =FILTER('Master List'!$A$1:$A$297,'Master List'!$B$1:$B$297=H11) This creates a list using the Contact name in the Region list to search the Master list then display the results. I've attached a better screen shot.

The list by Name needs to wrap so it can be printed on one page without having to export to Word. That's why I attempted using the "How to Wrap Date to Multiple Columns in Excel", podcast 2194 WrapThem vba code.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Attachments

• List by Region.GIF
    List by Region.GIF
    34 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back