Writing code to 'Thisworkbook' from another workbook in vba

dannyboy1982

Board Regular
Hi,

I need to write some VBA code so that when I click a command button, it opens up a file (called IBSXL.xlsm) and automatically writes some code in the 'Thisworkbook' module. I replace this file everyday, so I cannot leave the code in the module as it gets overwritten each day. Is there a way to do this in VBA? I have managed to open the file and transfer a 'normal' module but cannot work out how to get the code into the 'Thisworkbook' module.

Code:
Public Sub TransferModule()
Const MODULE_NAME    As String = "module16"         ' Name of the module to transfer
Const TEMPFILE       As String = "c:\users\name\desktop\module16.bas" ' temp textfile
Dim WBK As Workbook

On Error Resume Next
   '**Create new workbook
   Set WBK = Workbooks.Open("C:\users\name\desktop\IBSXL.xlsm")

'** export the module to a textfile
   ThisWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents(MODULE_NAME).Export TEMPFILE

'import the module to the new workbook
   WBK.VBProject.VBComponents.Import TEMPFILE

'kill the textfile
   Kill TEMPFILE

End Sub

I need the code in the 'Thisworkbook' module as I want the code to run as soon as the workbook opens without interaction from the user.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hi,

I was giving a completely different answer when I realized you might actually want this macro to be triggered by a workbook event?

If you want this macro to run when you open your workbook, simply put this as a workbook event. Change the type to fit your liking. To a "before close" or something similar.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Const MODULE_NAME    As String = "module16"         ' Name of the module to transfer
Const TEMPFILE       As String = "c:\users\name\desktop\module16.bas" ' temp textfile
Dim WBK As Workbook

On Error Resume Next
   '**Create new workbook
   Set WBK = Workbooks.Open("C:\users\name\desktop\IBSXL.xlsm")

'** export the module to a textfile
   ThisWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents(MODULE_NAME).Export TEMPFILE

'import the module to the new workbook
   WBK.VBProject.VBComponents.Import TEMPFILE

'kill the textfile
   Kill TEMPFILE

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Where is the code in the source file?

Upvote 0
I do want a macro to be triggered by opening the workbook and I realise that this code has to go into the 'Thisworkbook' module, however am I able to use code in another workbook to add it for me?

I run a report from another program and export to excel each day and call it IBSXL, each day I overwrite the file which consequently erases all code (as I am overwriting with a new file), what I need is to have the code saved in another workbook (titanium.xls) and to be able to run a macro from this workbook that will open IBSXL and automatically put the required code into the 'Thisworkbook' module.

Upvote 0
At the minute the code that I would like put into the opening workbook ('Thisworkbook' module) is in a normal module in the source file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teodora bocarski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back