X-Axis plotting a series, not values, on scatter chart

strap426

I am trying to create a scatter plot with two different series on it. (Both can use the same y-axis). The x-axis data is the same for both series. The Y-axis data is in two different columns. Like this:

xy1y2

<tbody>
</tbody>

Instead of getting the first two x-values kinda close together with the fourth x-value much further out, I'm getting perfectly evenly spaced x-values labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The values are all links to other spots in the spreadsheet. But it happens even when using raw numbers. I have tried everything I can think of. This is driving me crazy!! Please help!

Thank you in advance. --Ben

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Welcome to the board.
Remove the x as below, then select all the data and headers >Insert>Scatter Plot. You can put the x back after you generate the plot.
Sheet5

*ABC
1y1y2

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Upvote 0
Thank you much JoeMo!

In the x-column, in each row, I have this formula: if(isblank(h9),"",h9)
So some of my x-values are "", which causes the x-axis data to be a series.

Your information made me realize I can't use that formula.... So you helped me solve my problem.

If there IS a way to use that formula, please let me know! Otherwise, I can adapt. Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
Here is what my actual, real data looks like:

Polymer 1ViscositySF

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

The Polymer 1 column are my x-values. The empty cells are "", the result of the formula. Every one of those cells is a link to another place in the sheet.

I'd love to have the plot encompass all 7 rows but plot nothing where there is no x-value.

Upvote 0
I could use conditional formatting to white out the cells and leave them blank (or zeroes), but then I'd have a plot with zero values in those cells. Right?

Upvote 0
As you know Excel works with cell addresses so you need tp provide some layout info. What cell is the header Polymer 1 in? Are the Y values in the next two columns to the right of the x values? Zero values for x will produce data points on the y-axis for a scatter plot assuming the plot is set up conventionally with the Y-axis crossing the x-axis at x = 0.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies for the late reply. I was caught up in an unexpected project at work. I really DO appreciate any and all help I get here!!!

I was previously trying to simplify the data because the real data is quite complicated, hinging on cells in several other tabs and worksheets.
However, I think the best way to get the help is to show you a screen shot of the plot I'm trying to create.

I'd like two lines on this scatter plot: one for viscosity and one for screen factors. The screen factors y-values are in column BF. The viscosity y-values are in column BG. The shared x-values are in column BE.

As you can see, they are all links. And their source cells are also either links or calculations. I'm hoping Excel can accommodate....?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjcg9hs1ckfvd2g/K46_K9o--6

Upvote 0
The fact that your x and dual-y values are calculated has no bearing on chart creation. Remove the "x" in BE8 then select BE8:BO15 > Insert > Scatter Plot. Once you have the plot you can put the "x" back in BE8 if you like.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwalls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back