Xlookup Starting Point

OKCIrish

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Hello,

I'm new to excel, however I am very good at solving issues if I can get going in the right direction or have previous formulas to work off of or modify. I am having trouble on how to solve/approach this data point I would like returned to me.

My main data point that needs to be returned to a specific text in column X is OK, OK-HB, RPR or REJ is based on what is inputted in column K, M, N, T & V, from either drop-down menu selected or manually inputted.

I have been told a nested if formula would cause a lot of complications and Xlookup would be a better suit. However, I am stuck on how I should approach this table for Xlookup to work correctly. Do I have to have all different kinds of variations on the table, or can there be key components for the formulas to look up and return?

In column K & T if the drop down or manual input of STS or UND is selected then it overrides everything and the text in column X comes up as REJ.
Then column K, T, and V would compare for special text in column K & T and column V would have an X in it and column X would be returned as RPR if any of those parameters are met.
After that column K, T, M & N would be looked at. Column K & T would have to have either OK or OK-FR then column M & N would have F or D in it and then column X would return with OK-HB
And finally if column K, M, N, T & V have OK or OK-FR then column X would be returned as OK, with the variance of sometimes column N not having OK in the column at all but still returning column X with OK.

I would greatly appreciate any leads on how to approach this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 12
OKay, I"ve digested your first comment to get the calculations for Column X. But there isn't any dialog about how you wnat to tabulate the columns into the first row? How do you want to tabulate the various values in a column in one cell (the cell at the top of each column? I also have questions about the calculations. Please see below:

Mr Excel Questions.xlsx
ABCD
1column X is OK, OK-HB, RPR or REJ is based on what is inputted in column K, M, N, T & V
2In column K & T if the drop down or manual input of STS or UND is selected then it overrides everything and the text in column X comes up as REJ
3Column K & T would have to have either OK or OK-FR then column M & N would have F or D in it and then column X would return with OK-HB
5ColumnValid ValuesDependent on Columns:Rules
6XOK,OK-HB,RPR,REJK,M,N,T,V
7IF (Column K or T) = {STS,UND}, then Column X = REJ
8IF (Column K or T) = {OK,OK-FR} AND (Column M or N) = {F or D} then Column X = OK-HB
10So according to the rules in D7:D8 the dependend columns are K,T,M,N… where is Column V in calculating Column X?
11Also according to the rules, the only values that will be populated in Column X are REJ and OK-HB … How are OK and RPR Calcuated?
Sheet4

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I'm not sure if I am understanding your first set of questions about how I want to tabulate the columns into the first row? Most of the information would be selected from a conditional formatting and/or manual input. Sorry if that's not the answer you are looking for.

The rules for column X to return as RPR would be:
IF (Column K or T) = {MRF,PIT,WT,CT,GT,WO,BV,BM,DIM,PUT,CS,GS,SD,PS,UNS,SC} AND/OR (Column V) = {X}, then column X = RPR
The rules for colmn X to return as OK would be
IF (Column K and T) = {OK, OK-FR} AND (Column M (Sometimes N) = {OK} , then column X = OK
I say sometimes for column N because it's about 50/50 if column N actually has to be tabulated.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I am understanding your first set of questions about how I want to tabulate the columns into the first row? Most of the information would be selected from a conditional formatting and/or manual input. Sorry if that's not the answer you are looking for.

The rules for column X to return as RPR would be:
IF (Column K or T) = {MRF,PIT,WT,CT,GT,WO,BV,BM,DIM,PUT,CS,GS,SD,PS,UNS,SC} AND/OR (Column V) = {X}, then column X = RPR
The rules for colmn X to return as OK would be
IF (Column K and T) = {OK, OK-FR} AND (Column M (Sometimes N) = {OK} , then column X = OK
I say sometimes for column N because it's about 50/50 if column N actually has to be tabulated.

This is one of your previoius comments:
"The first row on the worksheet is just a tabulation for all the data that is being inputted into the worksheet. I wasn't able to figure out on how to add the range values in before I copied over the mini sheet in this go around as well.

I guess I wanted to see if XLOOKUP would be able to help me solve this issue. I have brought this up to someone before and they mentioned putting the combinations in one table and just have XLOOKUP reference that table to fill in what I need on the main table."

What do you mean by the underlined statement? Ultimately, what do you WANT help with? You don't seem to want an XLOOKUP function. But you have not explained anything else? What do you want to accomplish and what are the problems you are running into in getting there?

Upvote 0
What do you mean by column being (50/50)?
_____ by Sometime N. = OK.. In this K and T situation if there is ever an N = OK do you still want X = OK
I say sometimes for column N because it's about 50/50 if column N actually has to be tabulated. By 50/50... what do you mean by "tabulated"

Upvote 0
This is one of your previoius comments:

What do you mean by the underlined statement? Ultimately, what do you WANT help with? You don't seem to want an XLOOKUP function. But you have not explained anything else? What do you want to accomplish and what are the problems you are running into in getting there?
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't sharing all the rows on my work sheet, rows 1 through 48, because all that is on those rows are used as =COUNT functions for what is being inputted into the sheet. Like how many STS, UND, GT, OK, OK-HB, RPR, REJ etcetera are being inputted, that's all I was stating with that sentence.

What do you mean by column being (50/50)?
_____ by Sometime N. = OK.. In this K and T situation if there is ever an N = OK do you still want X = OK
I say sometimes for column N because it's about 50/50 if column N actually has to be tabulated. By 50/50... what do you mean by "tabulated"
What I mean by the column being 50/50 is that not all the time will it be required for column N to have OK, F, or D in it.

What I ultimately want help with is how I can get column X to recognize key words or inputs in columns K, M, N, T, V and return one of the four texts (OK, OK-HB, RPR & REJ). I was told that the best way to go about this without a bunch of nested formulas is creating an XLOOKUP table with those parameters laid out. I am not sure on how to approach or create that table.

Upvote 0
I don' think lookups will work for you since the desired values in column X vary and you have values affecting it from multiple columns. I'll get some calculated columns done for you. Bear with me a few hours (i'm watching the football game).

Upvote 0
Ok... here are the mapping rules for Column X.
I have a question about Column V being an "X"... If the values for K and T are always the same whether V has an X or not, why do you check Column V and map it to the same value for the X Column?

And the more I look at this, lookups of some sort will be easier than my first thoughts.

Please look and let me know if this contains all the mapping for Column X:
Book3
ABCDEF
1K-Box Initial ConditionT-Pin Initial CondV-BentM-Box Hard BandN-Pin HBMap X to
2BMXRPR
3BMRPR
4BVXRPR
5BVRPR
6CSXRPR
7CSRPR
8CTXRPR
9CTRPR
10DIMXRPR
11DIMRPR
12GSXRPR
13GSRPR
14GTXRPR
15GTRPR
16MRFXRPR
17MRFRPR
18OKFOK-HB
19OKFOK-HB
20OK-FRDOK-HB
21OK-FRDOK-HB
22PITXRPR
23PITRPR
24PSXRPR
25PSRPR
26PUTXRPR
27PUTRPR
28SCXRPR
29SCRPR
30SDXRPR
31SDRPR
32STSREJ
33UNDREJ
34UNSXRPR
35UNSRPR
36WOXRPR
37WORPR
38WTXRPR
39WTRPR
40BMXRPR
41BVXRPR
42CSXRPR
43CTXRPR
44DIMXRPR
45GSXRPR
46GTXRPR
47MRFXRPR
48PITXRPR
49PSXRPR
50PUTXRPR
51SCXRPR
52SDXRPR
53UNSXRPR
54WOXRPR
55WTXRPR
56BMRPR
57BVRPR
58CSRPR
59CTRPR
60DIMRPR
61GSRPR
62GTRPR
63MRFRPR
64OKOK-HB
65OKOK-HB
66OK-FROK-HB
67OK-FROK-HB
68PITRPR
69PSRPR
70PUTRPR
71SCRPR
72SDRPR
73STSREJ
74UNDREJ
75UNSRPR
76WORPR
77WTRPR
XLookup Start

Upvote 0
Also, many of the columns have data that are not considered for the value to calculate for column X, particularly columns K and T. That is fine and don't have to trigger a change in Column X, I just need to accomodate it.

Upvote 0
I noticed a typo of some info that may have not been put in correctly, pertaining to column 64-67 and fixed it below. The thing with column V is that if column all of the other columns are marked OK or OK-FR (K, M, N and T) and this one gets marked X then it automatically makes it a RPR.

Book1
ABCDEF
2BMXRPR
3BMRPR
4BVXRPR
5BVRPR
6CSXRPR
7CSRPR
8CTXRPR
9CTRPR
10DIMXRPR
11DIMRPR
12GSXRPR
13GSRPR
14GTXRPR
15GTRPR
16MRFXRPR
17MRFRPR
18OKFOK-HB
19OKFOK-HB
20OK-FRDOK-HB
21OK-FRDOK-HB
22PITXRPR
23PITRPR
24PSXRPR
25PSRPR
26PUTXRPR
27PUTRPR
28SCXRPR
29SCRPR
30SDXRPR
31SDRPR
32STSREJ
33UNDREJ
34UNSXRPR
35UNSRPR
36WOXRPR
37WORPR
38WTXRPR
39WTRPR
40BMXRPR
41BVXRPR
42CSXRPR
43CTXRPR
44DIMXRPR
45GSXRPR
46GTXRPR
47MRFXRPR
48PITXRPR
49PSXRPR
50PUTXRPR
51SCXRPR
52SDXRPR
53UNSXRPR
54WOXRPR
55WTXRPR
56BMRPR
57BVRPR
58CSRPR
59CTRPR
60DIMRPR
61GSRPR
62GTRPR
63MRFRPR
64OKFOK
65OKDOK
66OK-FRFOK
67OK-FRDOK
68PITRPR
69PSRPR
70PUTRPR
71SCRPR
72SDRPR
73STSREJ
74UNDREJ
75UNSRPR
76WORPR
77WTRPR
Sheet1

Upvote 0
I noticed a typo of some info that may have not been put in correctly, pertaining to column 64-67 and fixed it below. The thing with column V is that if column all of the other columns are marked OK or OK-FR (K, M, N and T) and this one gets marked X then it automatically makes it a RPR.

Book1
ABCDEF
2BMXRPR
3BMRPR
4BVXRPR
5BVRPR
6CSXRPR
7CSRPR
8CTXRPR
9CTRPR
10DIMXRPR
11DIMRPR
12GSXRPR
13GSRPR
14GTXRPR
15GTRPR
16MRFXRPR
17MRFRPR
18OKFOK-HB
19OKFOK-HB
20OK-FRDOK-HB
21OK-FRDOK-HB
22PITXRPR
23PITRPR
24PSXRPR
25PSRPR
26PUTXRPR
27PUTRPR
28SCXRPR
29SCRPR
30SDXRPR
31SDRPR
32STSREJ
33UNDREJ
34UNSXRPR
35UNSRPR
36WOXRPR
37WORPR
38WTXRPR
39WTRPR
40BMXRPR
41BVXRPR
42CSXRPR
43CTXRPR
44DIMXRPR
45GSXRPR
46GTXRPR
47MRFXRPR
48PITXRPR
49PSXRPR
50PUTXRPR
51SCXRPR
52SDXRPR
53UNSXRPR
54WOXRPR
55WTXRPR
56BMRPR
57BVRPR
58CSRPR
59CTRPR
60DIMRPR
61GSRPR
62GTRPR
63MRFRPR
64OKFOK
65OKDOK
66OK-FRFOK
67OK-FRDOK
68PITRPR
69PSRPR
70PUTRPR
71SCRPR
72SDRPR
73STSREJ
74UNDREJ
75UNSRPR
76WORPR
77WTRPR
Sheet1

so, is what you have above the criteria you want? Just to confirm, please.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back