Find item(s) in a string within a cell, match to item(s) in a list, and output the matched item

seleseped

Board Regular
Hello,
I am working on a decision-making tool (using Excel 2013) which will help doctors choose an appropriate drug given a patient’s symptoms and the medications he is currently taking. Cell E9 (labeled “FirstChoice” on sheet 'Recommendation') will give the doctor treatment instructions which includes a drug category (or categories) from which to choose a drug. Cell F9 (labeled “ProductsFirst”) then will look for the drug category (or categories) in E9 and output the corresponding brand name drug product(s).

Cell E10 (“Alternative”) will give an optional drug category choice and also pull the brand name into F10 (labeled "ProductsSecond") using the same above concept.

The drug categories and products are:
Category - Product
SAMA - Atrovent
LAMA - Spiriva
SABA - Proair
LABA - Serevent
ICS - Aerobid
SAMA+SABA - Combivent
LAMA+LABA - Anoro
ICS+LABA – Advair

Here is a screen shot of the output as an example:
Recommended Pharmacologic Management
Recommended Products
Recommended first choice
Initiate SABA+SAMA
SABA: Proair or Proventil or Ventolin
Alternative choice
Add LAMA, discontinue ICS
LAMA: Spiriva
ICS: Aerobid

<tbody>
</tbody>

I initially thought that I could do this within Excel using text functions (e.g., FIND, SEARCH, MID, LEN, etc.) and a VLOOKUP array, or INDEX-MATCH but quickly realized that that was becoming overwhelming and cumbersome and that VBA would be more efficient. I now think I need to use VBA functions such as FOR EACH, LOOP, FIND NEXT, etc. but having never written such a complicated loop, find myself at a loss as to where to even start.

My son is learning Python programming and he thought that this could be accomplished in that code using the 'dictionary' function. Perhaps there's a similar function/method in VBA?

Full Disclosure: I posted this same request on another help site a couple of weeks ago, but have not received any solutions. Here's hoping that somebody on this board will be able to help me. My deadline is fast approaching.

I am willing to share the workbook if that will help. Many thanks in advance for your expertise. You all are the best!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
saleseped,

Below is just an example of how I might test the strings in a range (e.g. B8:B9) against lookup data (E1:F10)
Excel Workbook
BCDEF
1***CategoryProduct
2***SAMAAtrovent
3***LAMASpiriva
4***SABAProair
5***LABASerevent
6***ICSAerobid
7Recommended Products**SAMA+SABACombivent
8Initiate SABA+SAMA**LAMA+LABAAnoro
9Add LAMA, discontinue ICS**ICS+LABAAdvair
10***SABA+SAMA???
11*****
Sheet7

Run this code

Code:
Sub Meds()

For Each cell In Range("B8:B9")
MedArray = Split(Application.Trim(Application.Substitute(cell, ",", " ")), " ")
For i = 0 To UBound(MedArray)
On Error Resume Next
MedCat = 0
MedCat = Application.Match(MedArray(i), Range("E1:E10"), 0)
If Not IsError(MedCat) Then
Med = Range("F1").Offset(MedCat - 1)
MsgBox MedArray(i) & ": " & Med
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next i
Next cell
End Sub

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply! I will get to work on this and let you know how it goes. Again, thanks for your expertise. That is something I would never have come up with on my own.

Seleseped

Upvote 0
In the example I have used substitute to avoid an issue with the comma that is in the B9 string. You would need to do similar if say a period might be on the end one of the categories.

You would also want to be able to either do direct look up for a combo such as SABA+SAMA or have that split (using the '+') in order to look up the two elements separately.

Hopefully it gives you something to work with.

Please keep me updated.

Upvote 0
Is potential for a UDF ?
Excel Workbook
BC
6**
7Recommended Products*
8Initiate SABA+SAMASABA+SAMA: ???
9Add LAMA, discontinue ICS and throw in some *LABA.LAMA: Spiriva - ICS: Aerobid *- LABA: Serevent
10**
Sheet7

Code:
Function MedProd(Cat As String)
MedArray = Split(Application.Trim(Application.Substitute(Application.Substitute(Cat, ",", " "), ".", " ")), " ")
On Error Resume Next
MedCat = 0
MedProd = MedProd & MedArray(i) & ": " & Med & " - "
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next i
MedProd = Left(MedProd, Len(MedProd) - 3)
End Function

Upvote 0
Hello,
I was able to get the first suggestion for code to work and got the appropriate message boxes to appear. My next question is then, instead of using message boxes, is there a way to get the products to output into the corresponding cells in column C?

It seems as though your suggestion to use a UDF is the answer, but I can't get that bit of code to run. I pasted the code into the module for the sheet which contains cells B8, B9, etc. I am self-taught in VBA and very amateur (that probably goes without saying), so could you be so kind as to give me step-by-step instructions?

Again, I can't thank you enough for your time and kindness.

Is potential for a UDF ?
Sheet7

*BC
6**
7Recommended Products*
8Initiate SABA+SAMASABA+SAMA: ???
9Add LAMA, discontinue ICS and throw in some *LABA.LAMA: Spiriva - ICS: Aerobid *- LABA: Serevent
10**

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 380px;"><col style="width: 372px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
C8=MedProd(B8)
C9=MedProd(B9)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Code:
MedArray = Split(Application.Trim(Application.Substitute(Application.Substitute(Cat, ",", " "), ".", " ")), " ")
On Error Resume Next
MedCat = 0
MedProd = MedProd & MedArray(i) & ": " & Med & " - "
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next i
MedProd = Left(MedProd, Len(MedProd) - 3)
End Function

Upvote 0
I too am self-taught amateur - piddling about with help on here now and again for the fun of it.

I have to dash out right now so for the time being to try the UDF you must have the function code in a Code module NOT the sheet's code module.

If you have no modules for this project then in the VBA editor, menu bar, click 'Insert' > 'Module' and paste the code into that white space.

Upvote 0
IT WORKS! (Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Hallelujah" in the background)
I have just one final (I hope) question . . . In order to save horizontal space, is there a way to list output categories with multiple products on separate lines instead of separating them with a hyphen on one continuous line? e.g.,
LABA: Serevent
SAMA: Atrovent
ICS: Aerobid, Flovent

I tried throwing vbnewline into a couple of lines of code, but it didn't seem to do anything:
Code:
MedProd = MedProd & MedArray(i) & ": " & Med & vbNewLine & " - "

MedProd = Left(MedProd, Len(MedProd) - 3) & vbNewLine

Thanks for your patience, Tony. As you are also self-taught, you gave me something to which to aspire!
Shelley

Upvote 0
IT WORKS! (Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "Hallelujah" in the background)
I have just one final (I hope) question . . . In order to save horizontal space, is there a way to list output categories with multiple products on separate lines instead of separating them with a hyphen on one continuous line? e.g.,
LABA: Serevent
SAMA: Atrovent
ICS: Aerobid, Flovent

I tried throwing vbnewline into a couple of lines of code, but it didn't seem to do anything:
Code:
MedProd = MedProd & MedArray(i) & ": " & Med & vbNewLine & " - "

MedProd = Left(MedProd, Len(MedProd) - 3) & vbNewLine

Thanks for your patience, Tony. As you are also self-taught, you gave me something to which to aspire!
Shelley

That's great and you are most welcome.

Try the revised function code below.
I have coded to reference the lists by named ranges rather than reference by address.
Define 'Category' as the full listing of Categories e.g. E1:E10 and 'Product' as just the header cell of the product listing e.g. F1

You will need to format the result cells to wrap text.

Code:
On Error Resume Next
MedCat = 0
MedCat = Application.Match(MedArray(i), Range("Category"), 0)
Med = Range("Product").Offset(MedCat - 1)
MedProd = MedProd & MedArray(i) & ": " & Med & Chr(10)
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next i

MedProd = Left(MedProd, Len(MedProd) - 1)
End Function

Excel Workbook
BCDEF
1***CategoryProduct
2***SAMAAtrovent
3***LAMASpiriva
4***SABAProair
5***LABASerevent
6***ICSAerobid
7Recommended Pharmacologic ManagementRecommended Products*SAMA+SABACombivent
8Initiate SABA+SAMASABA+SAMA: ???*LAMA+LABAAnoro
9Add LAMA, discontinue ICS and throw in some *LABA.LAMA: SpirivaICS: Aerobid LABA: Serevent*ICS+LABAAdvair
10***SABA+SAMA???
Sheet7

Good luck with the project.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kshealy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back