mole999

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
  3. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Not sure if I have seen this solved or asked before

I have a variable set of values with a key (X0001 to Y1600 currently) downloaded from SQL, against each key is a set of values. I have a table that I want to update when a key with value would not have current data

I would have done something like this but this works on rows
Code:
    For n = StartLookup To EndLookup Step 1

' If Range("S" & n) = "A4 A/S" And Range("AG" & n) = "" Then Range("U" & n) = "NORTHERN PERIMETER ROAD": Range("Y" & n) = "TW6 2RR": Range("AG" & n) = "53Q 106": Range("AH" & n) = "507158": Range("AI" & n) = "176822"
       ' If Range("S" & n) = "A4+" And Range("AG" & n) = "" Then Range("U" & n) = "NORTHERN PERIMETER ROAD": Range("Y" & n) = "TW6": Range("AG" & n) = "53Q 106": Range("AH" & n) = "507158": Range("AI" & n) = "176822"
Next n

So I want to work down X0001 to Y1600 and where in column B I have a value and on another sheet I have an associated blank I want to place the value in the blank

Any ideas that I can work with (I don't even know what would be good search terms (apart from VBA and LOOP)

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
My poor solution (slow)
Code:
Sub WORKINGX()
    On Error Resume Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Dim N
    Dim finderA
    Dim TargetRowB
    Dim TargetRowA
    For N = 1 To 2209 Step 1
        finderA = "X" & Format(N, "0000")

With Worksheets("Master Streets")
            .Select
            .Columns("D:D").Find(What:=finderA, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns).Activate
            TargetRowA = ActiveCell.Row
        End With

With Worksheets("Liability & Location")
            .Select
            .Columns("A:A").Find(What:=finderA, LookIn:=xlValues, _
                LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns).Activate
            TargetRowB = ActiveCell.Row
        End With
        'CAD
        If Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("I" & TargetRowA) = "" Then Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("I" & TargetRowA).Value = Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("H" & TargetRowB).Value
        'ID
        If Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("O" & TargetRowA) = "" Then Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("O" & TargetRowA).Value = Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("D" & TargetRowB).Value
        'Time
        If Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("H" & TargetRowA) = "" Then Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("H" & TargetRowA).Value = Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("G" & TargetRowB).Value
        'Fleet
        If Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("E" & TargetRowA) = 0 Then Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("E" & TargetRowA).Value = Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("E" & TargetRowB).Value
        If Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("J" & TargetRowA) <> Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("B" & TargetRowB) Then Worksheets("Master Streets").Range("J" & TargetRowA).Value = Worksheets("Liability & Location").Range("B" & TargetRowB).Value
        DoEvents
        Application.StatusBar = N
    Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

I couldn't get it to work without using far too many selects and activates (kept throwing errors), any suggestion welcomed, to reduce these down

Upvote 0
How about
Code:
Sub WORKINGX()
'    On Error Resume Next
Application.EnableEvents = False
   Dim N As Long
   Dim MstWs As Worksheet
   Dim finderA As String
   Dim TargetB As Range
   Dim TargetA As Range

Set MstWs = Worksheets("Master Streets")

For N = 1 To 2209 Step 1
      finderA = "X" & Format(N, "0000")

Set TargetA = MstWs.Columns("D:D").Find(What:=finderA, LookIn:=xlValues, _
         LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns)
      [COLOR=#0000ff]If TargetA Is Nothing Then
         MsgBox finderA & " Not found in Master"
         Exit Sub
      End If[/COLOR]

With Worksheets("Liability & Location")
         Set TargetB = .Columns("A:A").Find(What:=finderA, LookIn:=xlValues, _
            LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns)
         [COLOR=#0000ff]If TargetB Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox finderA & " Not found in Liability"
            Exit Sub
         End If[/COLOR]
         'CAD
         If TargetA.Offset(, 5) = "" Then TargetA.Offset(, 5).Value = .Range("H" & TargetB.Row).Value
         'ID
         If TargetA.Offset(, 11) = "" Then TargetA.Offset(, 11).Value = .Range("D" & TargetB.Row).Value
         'Time
         If TargetA.Offset(, 4) = "" Then TargetA.Offset(, 4).Value = .Range("G" & TargetB.Row).Value
         'Fleet
         If TargetA.Offset(, 1) = 0 Then TargetA.Offset(, 1).Value = .Range("E" & TargetB.Row).Value
         If TargetA.Offset(, 6) <> .Range("B" & TargetB.Row) Then TargetA.Offset(, 6).Value = .Range("B" & TargetB.Row).Value
         DoEvents
         Application.StatusBar = N
      End With
   Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub
Wasn't sure what you wanted to do if the Xnumber wasn't found, so put a couple of checks in place

Upvote 0
Alternatively, if you want to compare the whole of col D on Master Streets , with the whole of col A on Liability & Location
Try
Code:
Sub WorkingX_2()

Dim Cl As Range
   Dim MstWs As Worksheet
   Dim LLws As Worksheet

Set MstWs = Worksheets("Master Streets")
   Set LLws = Worksheets("Liability & Location")

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For Each Cl In LLws.Range("A2", LLws.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
         If Not .exists(Cl.Value) Then .Add Cl.Value, Array(Cl.Offset(, 7).Value, Cl.Offset(, 3).Value, Cl.Offset(, 6).Value, Cl.Offset(, 4).Value, Cl.Offset(, 1).Value)
      Next Cl
      For Each Cl In MstWs.Range("D2", MstWs.Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
         If .exists(Cl.Value) Then
            If Cl.Offset(, 5) = "" Then Cl.Offset(, 5).Value = .Item(Cl.Value)(0)
            If Cl.Offset(, 11) = "" Then Cl.Offset(, 11).Value = .Item(Cl.Value)(1)
            If Cl.Offset(, 4) = "" Then Cl.Offset(, 4).Value = .Item(Cl.Value)(2)
            If Cl.Offset(, 1) = 0 Then Cl.Offset(, 1).Value = .Item(Cl.Value)(3)
            If Cl.Offset(, 6) <> .Item(Cl.Value)(4) Then Cl.Offset(, 6).Value = .Item(Cl.Value)(4)
         End If
      Next Cl
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
@Fluff
Thank you
X is limited as a closed year so I know the values 1 to 2209 (there is no expectation of any missed values, but that's why ON Error is in there)
Y is worked out from a main cell reference that identifies the highest AlphaNumeric Value from the range, being updated as I draw in more data
the main sheet is over 25K values, about 40 cols, and check values are from SQL for what I want to test for.
The data from SQL would be sequential, the masters list could be in any one of five sort orders, hence checking the incremental value and identifying which row on both sheets the start value resides :)
I only need to do data cross checks infrequently, but its laborious line by line with Index Match and filters, then manual updates of individual cells

Upvote 0
Are you saying that my suggestions didn't work?

Upvote 0
Are you saying that my suggestions didn't work?

no, i didn't say they didn't work, I was attempting to demonstrate the range involved and that it isn't sequential or contiguous. your first script i tried last night and it worked as i expected. as yet i haven't tried the second variant

Upvote 0
Now had time to implement and test the latest version and it does everything I could have hoped for, thank you

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back