calculate minute value for each "m" in column

solidENM

Board Regular
Hello,
I am working on a formula that will count how many drill taps are needed on a worksheet, and return an estimated time value. Column B is qty of pieces. Column F is the type of taps. I am figuring 2 mins per tap, so row 1 would be 4 minutes, and row 2 would be 12 minutes. total below would be 16 minutes.

QTY.DescriptionTap
2poplarm12/-
3oakm12/m12

<colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I thought sumifs would work, but its not accounting for the second possible tap in column c.
=SUMIFS(A:A,C:C,"*m*")
results in 5 (2*1 + 3*1)
when it should be 2*(2*1) + 3(2*2) = 16

Hi Rick,
yes you are correct, not everything ends in -. We also have instances where notes are manually typed in. I think its best to stick with occurrences of letters M and D.

so far I have these two new columns which seem to be working great. I did some fiddling and they were updating correctly.
=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m","")))
=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"d","")))

Is there a way to have these both in the same column, so the Len statement will tally both variants in the same cell?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
is it still 2 mins for a D
i would just add
=(2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m",""))))+(2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"d",""))))
Hi again Etaf, just noticed I missed this. Thank you, its working great in one column.

Im surprised there is no modifier for sumifs to allow multiple instances. I typically tend to avoid these new columns since a macro will take much longer to scrape all the info, tally then delete the reference columns. I think this will still be saving time and helping me out.

Thanks for your help Etaf.

Upvote 0
so far I have these two new columns which seem to be working great. I did some fiddling and they were updating correctly.
=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"m","")))
=2*A2*(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,"d","")))

Is there a way to have these both in the same column, so the Len statement will tally both variants in the same cell?
Yes, give this a try...

=2*A2*SUM(LEN(C2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2,{"m","d"},"")))

Upvote 0
for anyone in the future looking at this thread, I was able to get this all condensed into one cell. I changed sum to sumproduct and moved the qty column to the end so its all in the same range. I havent done a ton of testing yet but it is currently working on my test sheets. I have a large macro running on one of my workbooks and try to avoid the ones that use the entire column.

=SUMPRODUCT((LEN(C2:C250)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2:C250,{"M","D","m","d"},"")))*A2:A250)

Upvote 0
for anyone in the future looking at this thread, I was able to get this all condensed into one cell. I changed sum to sumproduct and moved the qty column to the end so its all in the same range. I havent done a ton of testing yet but it is currently working on my test sheets. I have a large macro running on one of my workbooks and try to avoid the ones that use the entire column.

=SUMPRODUCT((LEN(C2:C250)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C2:C250,{"M","D","m","d"},"")))*A2:A250)
Where is the multiplication by 2 (minutes per tap) that you mentioned in Message #1 ?

Upvote 0
Where is the multiplication by 2 (minutes per tap) that you mentioned in Message #1 ?
I added *.03 at the end-- decimal equivalent of 2 minutes. I removed it to avoid confusion since it was easier to explain minutes over decimal minutes. I was originally taking the 2 minutes per tap and using another cell to convert to decimal. lumped it all into one and tried to edit back into context of this thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back