[green] #

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I did write that custom formatting. Now if I type 100 then 100 will be green. If I type 0 then excel will put nothing in that cell. If I type Hello then excel keep the same text, same black color. So far so good, but when I type -100 excel will change it to Green -100 ?? why is that?? I was expecting excel to leave -100 as black with - sign. Because I did not have anything for negative value? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi
I did write that custom formatting. Now if I type 100 then 100 will be green. If I type 0 then excel will put nothing in that cell. If I type Hello then excel keep the same text, same black color. So far so good, but when I type -100 excel will change it to Green -100 ?? why is that?? I was expecting excel to leave -100 as black with - sign. Because I did not have anything for negative value? Thank you.
Show us the Custom Format that you used and tell us what range of values should be turning green.

Upvote 0
Sorry I typed this:

[green]#

my column has these values {100,200,-100,-55,1000,3000}

they all turn green

Upvote 0
my column has these values {100,200,-100,-55,1000,3000}
I know that is what is happening... my question was more along the lines of what should happen. Do you want only positive numbers greater than zero to turn green? If so, and assuming you are only putting integer values in the cell (that is what your attempted Custom Format assumes), then try this custom format pattern...

[Green]#;[Black]#;[Black]0;[Black]@

Any special reason you are using Custom Formatting instead of Conditional Formatting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. No reason why I am using custom formatting. Just trying to experiencing and learn it. But that would lead to this question if I may. When I should use custom vs Conditional formatting?
Thank you once again.

I know that is what is happening... my question was more along the lines of what should happen. Do you want only positive numbers greater than zero to turn green? If so, and assuming you are only putting integer values in the cell (that is what your attempted Custom Format assumes), then try this custom format pattern...

[Green]#;[Black]#;[Black]0;[Black]@

Any special reason you are using Custom Formatting instead of Conditional Formatting?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back