Correlation Matrix Macro returning blank values

SBF12345

Greetings,

I have a correlation matrix macro that I use to find correlation values for pairs of data. The macro seems to be working fine, but some of the matrix cell values are left blank. The blank sections are associated with specific parameters and hence leave entire columns and rows blank. I am having trouble understanding why this is occurring? ideas?

Below is the matrix code, although I don't think this is the source of error in this case.

Code:
Sub CMatrixUpdate()

Dim i As Integer
Dim J As Integer
Dim a As Integer
Dim b As Integer
Dim c As Integer
Dim d As Integer
Dim e As Integer
Dim f As Integer
Dim arg1 As Range
Dim arg2 As Range

c = Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
d = Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

For J = 2 To c
    For i = 2 To d

a = J + 4
            b = i + 4

e = Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, a).End(xlUp).Row
            f = Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, b).End(xlUp).Row

With Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet

Set arg1 = .Range(.Cells(7, a), .Cells(e, a))
                Set arg2 = .Range(.Cells(7, b), .Cells(f, b))

End With

On Error Resume Next

Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(J, i) = WorksheetFunction.Correl(arg1, arg2)

Next i
Next J

End Sub

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I'd start by taking out the On Error Resume Next statement, so you can see what's really happening ...

As written, your code will error if arg1 and arg2 have a different number of data points, which in theory is possible given you have used two different variables e and f to defined their sizes.

Is there a single column in COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls which will always be fully populated, and which you can use to determine the (same) sizes of arg1 and arg2? (And I'd prefer to define the worksheet name rather than relying on ActiveSheet).

Upvote 0
Hi,

I included the slightly adjusted code with suggested edits converted to notes.

When running the code I errored (at the first cell which had previously been left blank when the on error was included in the script). The error was of the type "Unable to get the Correl property of the worksheetfunction class".

As for the fully populated column I just used the "a" variable column. This should work fine; all columns are of equal length. My intention in using ActiveSheet was so that I could collect data from a variety of different sheets. In retrospect, the whole macro looks like it would benefit significantly as a User Defined Function so that input ranges would gain in flexibility and output locations would gain in flexibility. I actually just ran into a problem with a UDF output for a correl matrix and put up a new mrexcel post under a different name "User Defined Functions ... trouble with output values"

Code:
Sub CMatrixUpdate()

Dim i As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim a As Integer
Dim b As Integer
Dim c As Integer
Dim d As Integer
Dim e As Integer
Dim f As Integer
Dim arg1 As Range
Dim arg2 As Range

c = Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
d = Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

For j = 2 To c
    For i = 2 To d

a = j + 4
            b = i + 4

e = Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, a).End(xlUp).Row
            'f = Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, b).End(xlUp).Row

With Workbooks("COMM_COMBINED_INDEPENDENTS.xls").ActiveSheet

Set arg1 = .Range(.Cells(7, a), .Cells(e, a))
                Set arg2 = .Range(.Cells(7, b), .Cells(e, b))

End With

'On Error Resume Next

Workbooks("Matrix.xls").ActiveSheet.Cells(j, i) = WorksheetFunction.Correl(arg1, arg2)

Next i
Next j

End Sub

Upvote 0
I actually just ran into a problem with a UDF output for a correl matrix and put up a new mrexcel post under a different name "User Defined Functions ... trouble with output values"

Yes, I saw that. There doesn't seem much point persisting here if you are going to open similar new threads.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back