VBA request regarding simplification of code

Nytekiss

Hello VBA Superiors!

I am working with a workbook that uses a index/match formula with a few named ranges. my current code works just fine, but I would love to simplify it. I am aware I could put in a single code to drag the formula across the entire used range of the worksheet, but what I'm trying to avoid is the extensive time it takes to process everything. The audience I am preparing this for can be very impatient, and I would like to have a process that shows some sort of progressive results as it goes (unless there is actually a way to significantly cut the process time). Below is a sample of the code I am using. It starts with column B and continues on to column AQ.
Thank you to anyone taking the time to even glance at my novice VBA skills. I am here to learn.

Code:
Sub convert()
'
 Sheets("Reviews").Select
 Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

Range("B4").Select
    Selection.FormulaArray = _
        "=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(allofit,MATCH(1,(Name=RC1)*(SOP=R2C),0),7)=""Acquired"",""X"",IF(INDEX(allofit,MATCH(1,(Name=RC1)*(SOP=R2C),0),7)=""Overdue"",""O"",""--"")),"" "")"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("B4:B" & LastRow)
    Range("B4:B" & LastRow).Select
    Selection.Copy
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False
        Range("C4").Select
        "=IFERROR(IF(INDEX(allofit,MATCH(1,(Name=RC1)*(SOP=R2C),0),7)=""Acquired"",""X"",IF(INDEX(allofit,MATCH(1,(Name=RC1)*(SOP=R2C),0),7)=""Overdue"",""O"",""--"")),"" "")"
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("C4:C" & LastRow)
    Range("C4:C" & LastRow).Select
    Selection.Copy
        Range("d4").Select
    Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("d4:d" & LastRow)
    Range("d4:d" & LastRow).Select
    Selection.Copy

end sub

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I don't know about being any faster, but this is cleaner:

Code:
Sub test()

Sheets("Reviews").Select
 Dim LastRow As Long

Range("B4").FormulaArray = _
    Range("B4").AutoFill Destination:=Range("B4:B" & LastRow)
    Range("B4:B" & LastRow).AutoFill Destination:=Range("B4:D" & LastRow)
    Range("B4:D" & LastRow).Value = Range("B4:D" & LastRow).Value

End Sub

Obviously, I don't have all the data you have so my testing was pretty limited, so PLEASE test that on a copy of your workbook...not the real deal.

To copy a range and paste values into the same range, you don't need to copy at all...see the last line in the code given.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi jproffer!
Thank you for your reply. I used the fundamentals of your code to come up with this little trick.
took me a while to wrap my brain around using the integer and For/Next functions.. but I think I get it=)

Code:
Sub test()
Sheets("Reviews").Select
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim i As Integer
For i = 2 To 42
Cells(4, i).FormulaArray = _
Cells(4, i).AutoFill Destination:=Range(Cells(4, i), Cells(LastRow, i))
Range(Cells(4, i), Cells(LastRow, i)).Value = Range(Cells(4, i), Cells(LastRow, i)).Value
Next i

End Sub

thank you for the tip of not having to copy and paste - I'm trying to do as much as I can without using .select and that helps a lot!

Upvote 0
That will put that formula into every cell in row 4, from column B to...............whatever 42 is lol...which you no doubt know by now. Cells is just a touch different than Range in that the Row comes first rather than the Column, but they do basically the same thing, yes :)

A little more to wrap your head around the looping...you can add a step in there also.
Code:
 For i= 2 to 42 Step 2
would do every other column. You can also go backwards, which is handy if your deleting rows.
Code:
For i = LastRow to 2 Step -1
since deleting rows from the top down.......well it's not a great idea. Things get skipped...things you think should be gone...stay, things you think should have stayed are gone...it gets ugly lol.

EDIT TO ADD: I should have said, that will INITIALLY put that formula into row 4, columns B thru (whatever 42 is)...then you drag down on the next line. I saw it, just didn't comment on it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back