Soccer Formula

jayjaysb

Board Regular
Hi all, Looking for some help with a formula that allocates 3 points for a predicting Home Win, Away Win or Draw, but also allocates 6 points should the person predict the correct score, in the instance below Susan predicted 3-3, which was correct, in turn gets a total of 9 points, 3 for predicting draw and 6 for correct score. Much obliged JJSB

NameMatchesPredicted ScoreActual ScorePoints
JohnRussiaSaudi Arabia10330
JimRussiaSaudi Arabia100
PeterRussiaSaudi Arabia200
MaryRussiaSaudi Arabia300
SusanRussiaSaudi Arabia330
PaulRussiaSaudi Arabia210
MelRussiaSaudi Arabia320
ConnorRussiaSaudi Arabia420

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Another one:

=IF(AND(D2<>"",E2<>"",F2<>"",G2<>""),IF(AND(D2=F2,E2=G2),9,IF(SIGN(D2-E2)=SIGN(F2-G2),3,0)),0)

If the actual score is 3-3 shouldnt Susan be 9?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Yes Steve, 3 for the win and 6 bonus for predicting correct score, I still cant get it to work, Thanks JJSB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Final, that works, but only allocates 3 points for correct score and not 6, if you get me, thanks JJSB

Ah did you want 6 points even if lets say Russia win 2-1 but someone predicted 2-1 to Saudi Arabia?

Upvote 0
If so then maybe:

=IF(AND((F2=D2),(E2=G2)),9,IF(OR(AND(F2>G2,D2>E2),AND(G2>F2,E2>D2)),3,IF(AND((F2=G2),(E2=D2)),3,IF(AND((F2=E2), (G2=D2)),6,0))))

Just read post below:

ignore this formula

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah did you want 6 points even if lets say Russia win 2-1 but someone predicted 2-1 to Saudi Arabia?

No Final, If Russia wins 2-1 and someone predicts 2-1 then they get 3 points because Russia win, they will then get an additional 6 points for correctly predicting 2-1, noone will get any points if Saudi beat Russia 2-1 as noone predicted it, I might not be explaining myself too well. Thanks JJSB

Upvote 0
Are you only entering the actual score in cells F2 and G2 and not copying it down??

Upvote 0
If so its:

=IF(AND(D2<>"",E2<>"",$F$2<>"",$G$2<>""),IF(AND(D2=$F$2,E2=$G$2),9,IF(SIGN(D2-E2)=SIGN($F$2-$G$2),3,0)),0)

but will be a right pain for you to manage for each game as would need a formula change. Think id either drag the result down for each row or create a lookup table of results.

Upvote 0
Are you only entering the actual score in cells F2 and G2 and not copying it down??

Steve, I think I might be confusing you all. In cell f2 and g2 thats where the REAL correct score sits. H2 is where I am putting the formula and then dragging it down to H9. Apologies if I am annoying you all. Thanks JJSB

Upvote 0
if so its:

=if(and(d2<>"",e2<>"",$f$2<>"",$g$2<>""),if(and(d2=$f$2,e2=$g$2),9,if(sign(d2-e2)=sign($f$2-$g$2),3,0)),0)

but will be a right pain for you to manage for each game as would need a formula change. Think id either drag the result down for each row or create a lookup table of results.

it works!!!!!!! Thanks a million. JJSB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another approach;

=(SIGN($F$2-$G$2)=SIGN(D2-E2))*3+(D2&E2=$F$2&$G$2)*6

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back