Replicating OR criteria with Slicer

ryancaseymcshane

I have a series of Columns containing employee names from my company directory. Column A is the Requestor of the respective row's project (several more columns containing project info). Columns B-D contain the next three managers in the org chart.

RequestorManagerManager's ManagerManager x3
Mr. BrownXYZXYZXYZ
XYZMr. BrownXYZXYZ
XYZXYZMr. BrownXYZ

<tbody>
</tbody>

The data is connected to a dashboard with slicers. I'd like to pull a custom report tied to either the Requestor, a manager (who might oversee multiple Requestors), or a senior leader (Manager's Manager or Manager x3) in order to show departmental trends.

The problem in the table above is that sometimes the Manager or senior leader is the Requestor. When I select Mr. Brown from the Manager Slicer, it does not display the projects in which Mr. Brown is the Requestor or the senior leader. I was hoping to be able to use the shift key to select Mr. Brown in Slicers where his name might appear, but that displays 0 results because it's combining criteria as an AND rather than an OR.

How might I achieve the results of what I've described above?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
If anyone is interested in a similar solution, I was able to create a workaround.

I first created a combined drop down list on my dashboard sheet containing all unique names found in the above columns to serve in place rather than a slicer. I also created a new column next to the above columns in my data sheet called Manager Match. This formula is a simple IF formula if the dropdown selection matches a name found on the row. If there's a match, a TRUE value appears.

I reference this new column in my dashboard as part of my countifs criteria.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back