Sumproduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

dammyshaggs

Been having hard time solving this question.I got it wrong and i believe the workings used is the cause of it.

Question 1
The following file describes the situation faced by a landscaping company, 'Landscaping Solutions'.
If there is great weather, the company takes the following hours to complete a driveway, backyard, front yard, back verandah, and front porch: 20, 30, 25, 25, and 20 hours respectively.
Good weather increases all times by a factor of 1.1.
Bad weather increases all times by a factor of 1.25.
Stormy weather increases all times by a factor of 1.5.
A natural disaster increases all times by a factor of 2.0
Great weather, good weather, bad weather, stormy weather, and a natural disaster have the following probabilities of occurrence: 0.6, 0.25, 0.1, 0.04, and 0.01 respectively.
All these probabilities (weightings) sum to 1.
Use SUMPRODUCT to calculate the estimated hours of work to complete the landscaping.
Please answer using the format ###.##

Thanks!!

Weighting0.010.040.10.250.6
High Level TasksNatural DisasterStormy WeatherBad WeatherGood WeatherGreat WeatherEstimated Hours
Driveway20
Backyard30
Front yard25
Back veranda25
Front porch20
TOTAL HOURS 0.0

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Sounds like homework, not landscape work...

Upvote 0
Sounds like homework, not landscape work...

Yes home work.Been solving it but wrong .

I have to fill the table before using the SUMPRODUCT function.

Then used that to find my estimated hours.
Lemme explain better what i did which i believe is giving me wrong answers.I used fill handle to do the increasing factor for each column.Then use the all data to perform SUMPRODUCT for the estimated hours.
But that approached fails!

Upvote 0
See my response to your posting in excelforum.com.

Please note, I wrote there: ``Since this is homework or an exam question about SUMPRODUCT, it would be inappropriate to provide a turnkey solution using SUMPRODUCT.
But let's be sure you understand the mathematical principle (probability theory), which might be your stumbling block.``

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Been having hard time solving this question.I got it wrong and i believe the workings used is the cause of it.

Question 1
The following file describes the situation faced by a landscaping company, 'Landscaping Solutions'.
If there is great weather, the company takes the following hours to complete a driveway, backyard, front yard, back verandah, and front porch: 20, 30, 25, 25, and 20 hours respectively.
Good weather increases all times by a factor of 1.1.
Bad weather increases all times by a factor of 1.25.
Stormy weather increases all times by a factor of 1.5.
A natural disaster increases all times by a factor of 2.0
Great weather, good weather, bad weather, stormy weather, and a natural disaster have the following probabilities of occurrence: 0.6, 0.25, 0.1, 0.04, and 0.01 respectively.
All these probabilities (weightings) sum to 1.
Use SUMPRODUCT to calculate the estimated hours of work to complete the landscaping.
Please answer using the format ###.##

Thanks!!

Weighting0.010.040.10.250.6
High Level TasksNatural DisasterStormy WeatherBad WeatherGood WeatherGreat WeatherEstimated Hours
Driveway403025222021.6
Backyard604537.5333032.4
Front yard5037.531.2527.52527
Back veranda5037.521.2527.52527
Front porch403025222021.6
TOTAL HOURS129.6

<tbody>
</tbody>

Have solved it yesterday night.Thank you very much...

Moreover am new here and am not sure if have done something wrong.This forum seems not friendly.Can anybody tell me how i can delete my account here!!!

Upvote 0
I will like to say thank you to everybody who had dedicated their precious time trying to solve this question for me.Am really grateful for your kind gesture.!!!

Upvote 0
I did not cross post.I don't even have the time of looking for irrelevant question from one forum to another(My too busy for that).
I was taking an excel course and the exercise looks complicated.So i googled best forum in order to just meet people that will just explain better for me not solve it.But finally did it by myself.
I think am done here!!!

Can you just tell me how to deactivate my account!!!

Best Regards
Dammy Shaggs

Upvote 0
Have solved it yesterday night.Thank you very much...

Moreover am new here and am not sure if have done something wrong.This forum seems not friendly.Can anybody tell me how i can delete my account here!!!

Every Forum have its own policy. The only problem I can see (as I also was warned of cross posting some time ago)
is how the way it was said. THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY OF SAYING THINGS. specially to the new comers.. a little TACT will go a long way....
thank you

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wingedshoes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back