How to Find Overall +/- Percentage Performance Over Several Quarters

Jeff Earle

I'm at a loss on this. I need to find the Overall +/- performance % of errors made over the 4 quarters of the year. I can get the performance +/- from the previous quarter but the overall is a mystery.

My data is:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th
50% 67% -55% -78%

Keep in mind that positive % = increase in errors & negative % = decrease in errors.

Also as time moves on I will be adding additional quarter % and want to show the entire history from the original 1st quarter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You will have to revert your calculations back to the original data. You simply cannot "average" percentages in any meaningful way. If you do the same thing that you're doing quarterly (assuming that those results are valid!) but use the full year's data as the base set, then you can get to your answer, but counting or averaging percentages - though it can give "a number" - will not be a valid process.

Upvote 0
You will have to revert your calculations back to the original data. You simply cannot "average" percentages in any meaningful way. If you do the same thing that you're doing quarterly (assuming that those results are valid!) but use the full year's data as the base set, then you can get to your answer, but counting or averaging percentages - though it can give "a number" - will not be a valid process.

I think I understand what your saying as I get erroneous % than does not look right. I have added the original data that might help:

Starting Errors1st Qtr2nd Qtr3rd Qtr4th Qtr
50%67%-55%-78%

<tbody>
</tbody>

How do I show the overall +/- %?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back