Not open for further replies.

anna82marie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Good morning!

I may have over-stretched myself with a training matrix that I have created. I have figured out the formulas to return the number of red, amber, green based on the validity period for ALL staff, but can't for the life of me amend the formula to give me the results for a specific member of staff, selected via drop down.

The formula I am using for the total of expired certifications is:

=IF(J$3="N/A","",IF(J$3=Data!$A$25,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$25,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$32),IF(J$3=Data!$A$26,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$26,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$33),IF(J$3=Data!$A$27,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$27,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$34),IF(J$3=Data!$A$28,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$28,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$35),IF(J$3=Data!$A$29,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$29,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$36),IF(J$3=Data!$A$30,COUNTIFS(J$9:J$1001,">"&Data!$C$30,J$9:J$1001,"<="&Data!$C$37))))))))

Running from a data sheet providing the dates the certificate needed to be taken between.

Any ideas? Please help save my sanity!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I can give you some guidance, maybe, but I doubt if I'll be able to fully resolve this. Maybe what I will tell you can be enough.

In the first place, your formula is giving you "totals" of the unfiltered data. When you filter the data—which is what I presume you mean by 'selected via drop down'—then your DISPLAY might change, but the totals don't change. So try using the SUBTOTAL function (with its various parameters, as you'll see in the wizard when you start to enter it) which will show your filtered data.

Aside from that, you can make your formula much MUCH easier to audit and troubleshoot.

For example, you use the term COUNTIFS( J$9:J$1001) so frequently that you'd be better off making this a named range or a helper cell that you can more easily (more readably) substitute into the formula. You'll be able to do something similar with the SUBTOTAL function, I expect, as you get used to it.

Alternatively, you could make some of the COUNTIF comparisons directly on the sheet, on the applicable rows (even if you then hide the rows containing those formulas), and then simply refer to the results of the pre-made calculations in, again, much shorter and easier to comprehend formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veeraiyah

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back