match max if

frsm

hello all

i want to correct this formula to match my need , i want to find the value in range (b4:b405)which match the maximum value in d4:d405 when the value in c4:c405 = I4

my formula is =MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=$I4;D$4:D$405)) and i confirm with ctrl+shift +enter

thank you

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
How about

=INDEX(B4:B405,MATCH(MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=$I4;D$4:D$405)),D4:D405,0))

Still confirmed with CSE

Upvote 0
sorry, it doesn't give the exact result

i have in b4:b405 names like
mike
johne
philpe
in c4:c405 I've the one of the numbers from 1-9 (class number)
in d4:d405 i have different values

i need to find the name wihvh match the max value of d4:d405 for each class 1;2;3;

help please

thank you

Upvote 0
it works for me...Did you re enter the formula with CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER ??

when entered correctly the formula will look like

{=INDEX(B4:B405,MATCH(MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=$I4;D$4:D$405)),D4:D405,0))}

Works fine for me, see below.<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="<A href="http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/popup.js"></SCRIPT>
Personal.xls
BCDEFGHI
4mike1808
5john360
6phillip843phillip
7fred325
8alice832
9barney1120
Sheet1

Upvote 0
I think you might be trying to fill it down to check each class number in column I ?

then You need to add the absolute references...

Code:
=INDEX($B$4:$B$405,MATCH(MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=I4,$D$4:$D$405)),$D$4:$D$405,0))
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="<A href="http://www.interq.or.jp/sun/puremis/colo/popup.js"></SCRIPT>
Personal.xls
BCDEFGHIJ
4mike1801barney
5john3603john
6phillip8438phillip
7fred325
8alice832
9barney1120
Sheet1

Upvote 0
ok thank you ,
it works fine for the fist vakue the it gives errors with the other
plz put the srial numbers from 1-9 iin the cells I4- I12 the put please the formula in the range h4 to H12 , i did that and found some errors inthe results
thank you

Upvote 0
i added add the absolute references but i think the problem is there are equal values in d4:d405 so it match the first name that catch the specific value without consideration to its class

Upvote 0
I had a very similar problem, after reading this thread I tinkered with the formulas. The issue in the case above is that if there are duplicate values in d4:d405 then only the first occurrence is displayed. My own issue was finding the last product ID used by any account out 65,652 total accounts. Where I needed to find the max date per account ID, then display the corresponding product ID. For my example, using the above formula I found the max date by account using the max if formula, but the match formula would only look at the "date" itself when used in the index and not the date and account ID.

I resolved this with using a double MAX IF (nested MAX IF?) without the index match formula. Using the case above the formula would be:

MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=I4,IF($D$4:$D$405=MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=I4,$D$4:$D$405)),$B$4:$B$405))) with ctrl+shift +enter

Upvote 0
Hi all

Not sure if this is the problem, but when you match a MAX value based on a criteria, you need to use the IF() in both the first and second argument of the match. As such your formula earlier should read as follows:

=INDEX($B$4:$B$405,MATCH(MAX(IF($C$4:$C$405=I4,$D$4:$D$405)),IF($C$4:$C$405=I4,$D$4:$D$405),0))

Imagine a table sorted alphabetically containing first names and then points, with each person having several scores. If you find the maximum score of Zack as 20, you then match on the scores. If Abigail also scored a 20 and you don't remove her result using the IF(Name=Zack, Scores), you will match to her row instead of Zack's.

Hope that helps

Mackers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back