SUM across multiple sheets with variable sheet name question

kstrick9

Board Regular
Using a formula similar to this: =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4!A1) how can I get Sheet4 to be variable where it equals the tab name of the sheet using this formula or any similar formula to acheive the same result: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256) I've tried it all and can't figure this one out.

What I am attempting to do is when a new sheet is added it will have the correct sheet ranges already in place to the many subsequent rows to add together.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Using a formula similar to this: =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet4!A1) how can I get Sheet4 to be variable where it equals the tab name of the sheet using this formula or any similar formula to acheive the same result: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256) I've tried it all and can't figure this one out.

What I am attempting to do is when a new sheet is added it will have the correct sheet ranges already in place to the many subsequent rows to add together.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Create a "sheet sandwich".

Insert a new sheet to the immediate left of the first sheet you want to include in the calculation. Name this sheet Start.

Insert a new sheet to the immediate right of the last sheet you want to include in the calculation. Name this sheet End.

\Start/\Sheet1/\Sheet2/\Sheet3/\Sheet4/\End/

The formula would be:

=SUM(Start:End!A1)

When you add new sheets that need to be included in the calculation just put them bwtween the Start sheet and the End sheet.

Upvote 0
T.Valko or others...one other question: The new issue that I see is that any sheet prior to the next sheet should not add the next sheet(s) value(s). This is for invoicing that tracks totals paid to date. Any way to back out subsequent sheets values? thanks

Upvote 0
T.Valko or others...one other question: The new issue that I see is that any sheet prior to the next sheet should not add the next sheet(s) value(s). This is for invoicing that tracks totals paid to date. Any way to back out subsequent sheets values? thanks
Not sure I understand.

Can you elaborate?

Upvote 0
For example, sheet1 (or Invoice 1) should not include the values of sheet2 (Invoice 2), but sheet2 needs to include the values of sheet1 since the invoiced amounts are progressive.

Upvote 0
For example, sheet1 (or Invoice 1) should not include the values of sheet2 (Invoice 2), but sheet2 needs to include the values of sheet1 since the invoiced amounts are progressive.
Stll not clear.

Are you saying that each sheet has some form of this formula:

=SUM(Start:End!A1)

And that each sheet is to exclude some other sheet(s)?

Upvote 0
@ T. Valko... What I ended up doing was excluding the previous sheet from the most current. The way below works but I was hoping was to find a more automated way to copy the last invoice to create a subsequent invoice where the formulas were copied over in a way that allowed the new invoices to be progressive while the previous invoices remained unchanged. If there was only a way to allow the tab name to be variable this would be possible as per my initial post. Keep in mind that these invoices are for progress payments and therefore many times invoiced amounts are as a percentage of a particular scheduled value.

Invoice 1 = 1st so no reference to other sheets
Invoice 2 =Sum(Invoice1!A1)
Invoice 3 =Sum(Invoice1:Invoice2!A1)
Invoice 4 =Sum(Invoice1:Invoice3!A1)....

Invoice 12 =Sum(Invoice1:Invoice11!A1)
Invoice Final =Sum(Invoice1:Invoice12!A1)

Upvote 0
thank for the 1st question on the sum up all the sheet. i want to add how to sumif between the sheet (start to end)
your current formula is sum(start:end!A1) how about sumif

thank you

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back