Shortening list in Excel

bhaveshg12

I have selected data validation setting as List for one of the cell. Now a drop down list containing the values contained in range does appear in the cell. However; when I enter first letter in that cell; list does not confine itself to only the values starting with the letter entered.

I am not sure what this feature is exactly called. But it is like shortening the big list with small list which is relevant to the letter entered by the user

Any thoughts / help?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
do you mind sharing it? I have also been looking for something like that but was unable to get it working through the link provided.
I am already using a Combo box in a userform and i want the dropdown list to shorten based on the letters i type

Upvote 0
do you mind sharing it? I have also been looking for something like that but was unable to get it working through the link provided.
I am already using a Combo box in a userform and i want the dropdown list to shorten based on the letters i type
Use an ActiveX combo box. It has autocomplete properties.

Just don't ask me how to code it! :)

Upvote 0
Ha ha..but valko I am already using an ActiveX combo box and i already have autocomplete properties set. But what i am looking for is something which will reduce the dropdown list only to the words i types. For example i might have thousands of items in the dropdown list but if i type "Auto" in the combobox drop down list should reduce only to the line items which start with the word "Auto".

Use an ActiveX combo box. It has autocomplete properties

Upvote 0
Go to the link provided by VoG in Post #2

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Micheal and Shg i ll have a look at these links and let you know if i am able to get it working :)
Thanks again guys :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back