Graph Gripes

MR STAT

Having real problems with representing blank data in line charts. Need standard line graphs but when there is no data for a particular x axis point I want the line to break and I don't want the line dropping to zero. Does anyone know a way I can represent the blank data without deleting the formula that brings back the blank cell.

On 2002-05-03 09:03, nancyo wrote:
No, both c51 and g51 are formulas which return NA if there is no data, or else they return an average on a column of values.

Care to post the formula that is in C51 as well as the one G51?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
The formulas in C51 and G51 are the same, except the g is swapped with the c:

=if(istext(c25), "NA",(average(c25:c49)))

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-06 13:41, nancyo wrote:
The formulas in C51 and G51 are the same, except the g is swapped with the c:

=if(istext(c25), "NA",(average(c25:c49)))

It should be:

=IF(ISTEXT(C25),#N/A,AVERAGE(C25:C49))

However, I have a problem with this, considering what you said in the previous post:

No, both c51 and g51 are formulas which return NA if there is no data, or else they return an average on a column of values.

Maybe you're looking for:

=IF(COUNT(C25:C49),AVERAGE(C25:C49),#N/A)

Aladin

Upvote 0
Aladin, I found that using NA() instead of #NA caused me less problems in formulas. I am using 97 with NT4 which probably explains it.

Upvote 0
1. What is the difference between using "NA" and #NA?

2. How does the count formula differ from what I am using?

3. I will create a dummy spreadsheet and try your suggestion...

4. I have used the type of formula above in many spreadsheets, works well. Does not appear to work with graphing, why?

5. I am apparently pretty stupid with all this...

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-07 05:09, nancyo wrote:

nancy using "NA" returns the text of NA where as NA() is as follows:
Returns the error value #N/A. #N/A is the error value that means "no value is available." Use NA to mark empty cells. By entering #N/A in cells where you are missing information, you can avoid the problem of unintentionally including empty cells in your calculations. (When a formula refers to a cell containing #N/A, the formula returns the #N/A error value.)

Syntax

NA( )

Remarks

· You must include the empty parentheses with the function name. Otherwise, Microsoft Excel will not recognize it as a function.
· You can also type the value #N/A directly into a cell. The NA function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet programs.

Upvote 0

#N/A is a "reserved value" like built-in function names that Excel immediately recognizes and knows what it means.

2. How does the count formula differ from what I am using?

Your formula just checks the first cell (C25) of the range (C25:C49) that you feed to the AVERAGE function. The formula with the COUNT test says that if there is at least one number in the target range, then compute the average, otherwise return #N/A. Note that I asked you whether this was what you intended with "no data". Yours doesn't check for that.

3. I will create a dummy spreadsheet and try your suggestion...

Good idea. That would clarify things we probably didn't consider yet...

4. I have used the type of formula above in many spreadsheets, works well. Does not appear to work with graphing, why?

Which formula are you referring to?

Aladin

Upvote 0
OK - I am working with the count formula today. I have so many formulas referring to many other formulas, that this will take me a while to think through.

Thanks for all the help so far, I will reply with questions ASAP.

Upvote 0
OK - the count formula works fine, and I figured out how to adapt my formulas. This now works the way I wanted.

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!!!!!

BTW - reading and re-reading the excel help and books I have isn't nearly as helpful as this website!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back