Excel 2013 - No Trusted Publisher Prompt? How do I become trusted?

ImpetuousRacer

I have Excel 2013 and have paid for and received a Digital code-signing certificate from GlobalSign.
When I am in the visual basic editor, I go to Tools > Digital Signature and sign with my digital id.

I save and send off to my colleagues who have Office 2013 and they all have default security settings of "Disable all macros with notification"

When they open the spreadsheet I send, the prompt comes up with the "enable" button. But there is no advanced options or other options to select, etc.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I get them to select me to be a trusted publisher? Thanks for the help!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Awesome! The second link had the command line I needed.

The rest of the information I figured out through various sources. I've summed it up below as I figured I it could help others...

Getting your cer file to send to people
1. Open IE10 then go to Tools> Internet Options > Content Tab > Click the "Certificates" button
2. Under the personal tab, go to Export > No, do not export the private key > Next > Select Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER) > Next > Browse location to save and name file > Next > Finish
You will now have the .cer file you need

Creating the Batch file
3. Create a new text file, copy and paste the following into it: <b>certutil -addstore "TrustedPublisher" C:\CertName.cer</b> (Change the CertName to whatever your name is)
4. Save the file and rename the txt extension to bat

Creating an Executable:
5. Download and install WinRar
6. Create a new Zip file, add you cert file and bat file into it
7. Open up the zip file in WinRar, go to Tools > Convert Archive to SFX
8. Click Advanced SFX Options
9. Under the General Tab, set the path to Extract as C:\ (Or whatever you want)
10. Under the setup tab, In the Run After Extraction box, enter the name of your bat file, Example: InstallCert.bat
11. Click Modes tab, Select "Hide All"
12 Under Advanced Tab, click "Request Administrative access"
13. Under Update Tab, Click "Extract and Replace Files", and in overwrite mode, select "Overwrite all files"
14. Click OK
15. Upload you exe file that you created to a file service so you can send it as a link and not an attachment.

You will now have an executable file that you can send to someone, and they can install by simply downloading and double-clicking without the need to "Right-click, Run As Administrator".
The exe file will extract and install your cert all automatically without any user intervention.

Hope this helps. I did this with a vetted digital id. Not sure if this will work for self-signed cert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know Jack S about Mac, but found some links that might help
<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-style: normal; display: inline-block; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 14px !important;">www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOBZSBmplM</cite>
osx - How do I create a nice-looking DMG for Mac OS X using command-line tools? - Stack Overflow
osx - Creating nice dmg "installer" for Mac OS X - Stack Overflow
ChromaSoft: Building a DMG installer for the Mac the simple way
Terminal 101: Creating and Mounting DMG Files | Mac|Life

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back