Quals in Excel

RET79

Are there any worthwhile quals you can get in excel & VBA that will make you into a credible user for employers to take you on?

RET79

Some of the similaries between these "success stories" are:

- Get a certification's thru the various agencies i.e. MS, Sun Micro Systems, Oracle, Progress or from a community college.

- "If the only thing in your toolbox is a hammer you see every problem as a nail" In other words diversify your experience. Know C++ , Java, scripting, Access, excel etc.

- Programming does not happen in a vacum so learn something about the environment it is applied to i.e. : take an accounting course at a community college, learn something about networks, take your MCP cert etc

- Join local groups that meet face to face on a regular basis ... great for making contacts i.e. a local Programming Users groups , NT users group etc

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Jack mentions that certs can be costly... they really don't have to be. There are lots of books out there that will outline what you need to know to pass the exams and then you self-study and challenge the exams.
The exams are only about $150/exam... MCSE is only 6 exams ... thats only $900.
Any of my friends that have taken the courses say that if their company wasn't paying for them they wouldn't have gone. That they could learn alot more on their own.

Upvote 0
900USD or 700GPB not a lot???? depends i guess.. lower now [programming guys or guys not in that level will feel this, i know .. poss not one guys whos paid by themself>>

this speaks for them self, you build

get the books with disks and do bit by bit every day / week test test and sit the exam.

Like i say many fail, but ill be honest, if i was critical, i know 4 guys all faqiled Win2000, i beleive as they did not invest the correct amount of time in to learning and learning - un committed.

but also i know many many guys who have passed and they as spot on.

Im my company all paid by company all so they would not pay!

Slef taught.. VBA as i am... shocking skills i have there, but IT director as MDs asst all ask me, over many experianced VB programmers, i wonder why.

VBA skills are slightly different.

Upvote 0
Your right jack "alot" is a relative thing. But keep in mind what a week at a training center will cost. Depending on the course 5 days training can cost anywhere from $2000-$3200. A 9 month course at community college for your MCSE or CISSP will cost between $10,000 and $16,000. One CISSP exam will cost $650 USD !
In light of that $900 is a relative cheap amount to get an entire MS certification for.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering how hard it would be to offer the prospective employer an opportunity to test your skills. I'm betting that if your resume/CV looks better than the certifiable one, they'll give you that opportunity.

I personally refuse to pay for certification on anything. I've known many certifieds that know nothing. And this is not intended as an insult to those that are certified, it's just the truth. Same goes with college degrees. For the most part, they prove nothing but that you can pass a test.

Brainbench says I'm a Master at Word 2000 and I'm now a Brainbench Word MVP. Would I pay for that? Heck no! But anyone who wants to do that now pretty much has to pay for it.

If you get your foot in for the interview, you'll find out whether they like that cert because it's their company standard, or whether they like it because they think it really means something. Of course, you can always tell them you'll be happy to get the cert if they want to pay for it. :)

Sorry, but this particular topic has always been a sore spot for me. A job will say that you must have experience with some accounting program like Quicken. How ridiculous. They're all very similar and any good software person will be able to pick it up in no time, and do it better than the person who had the Quicken experience and little else.

Venting....sorry.

Upvote 0
For what its worth, I have an accounting/programming position with the government and I don't have a degree.
They take good care of me(++benefits!!!).
It sounds silly but I know a few people who have gotten into this or related fields through a temp agency. It gives you a great chance to show your potential employer that you really can use the software you told them you could use before they hire you permantly.

-Corticus

Upvote 0
Good one, Cort. I've gotten two great jobs through employment agencies.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back