excel macro execution speed (run time)

RAYLWARD102

I've spent a lot of time in developing a multi-user, Excel front end application (user forms combined with spreadsheets).
The data is kept in the back end; Ms Access database.
This project requires intelligent updates to sheets being used by the excel front end users. These users (to date) have been using office 365 for business on windows 7 64 bit machines.
At the moment, my access database has about 1000 rows/records. The sheets are manipulated and updated by my code to the various users (edits, deletions, creations). Some of the sheet refreshes are partial; some are from ground up....1000 records. It takes about 30-45 seconds for the code to completely refresh a users sheet from the ground up; during this process, the macro gathers information from 3 separate ms access databases on various servers on our gigabit lan.
My problem is this.
Windows 8; office 365 for business.
I run the same 30/45 second (on win7 pc) refresh macro on a windows 8 pc; only to have it take more than 10 minutes to execute!!
I don't know where to begin trying to figure this out; downgrade this user back to windows7?
Anyone come across this?

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
for the record..
pc's that can run this code 30-45 seconds 5pc's; windows 7 64bit office 365 business with confirmed gigabit flowing connections.
pc's that take 10-20 minutes to run same code
2 x windows 8 pc's with confirmed gigabit flowing connections.... one with office 365 business and second with office 2013 professional.
so the common denominator is windows 8
wtf!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi RAYLWARD102 I've seen the same problem on the Microsoft Japan community. When he uses Windows 7 32 bit and Access 2010 32 bit runtime, no problem about its speed, but on Windows 8 64 bit and Access 2010 32 bit runtime, it's really slow. At that forum, no clear answer is posted including answers from MSFT.

I'd reccomend you to isolate the problem before downgrade that user back to windows7. Smells like an issue from networking...How does it work if the Access db is placed on the local disk?

Upvote 0
yes; works fine locally. (when the access db is placed locally on the win8 pc, rather than over network)
I can get perfect results on win7 32/64 with office 365 32/64 but.....win 8 with any combination of office 365 32/64 sucks big time. 3o seconds vs 20+ minutes for code to complete.

Upvote 0
So, sounds like a problem from Windows 8 networking. Better ask this at other message board for Windows users not for Excel users. Anyway, not sure if it works but trying is free.

How about mapping a Network Drive?

Disable SNP (Scalable Networking Pack)
from command line, execute the following command.
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Upvote 0
Update;
here are the databases being accessed during my macro runtime:
Server1 (server 2003) is hosting 2 of the 3 ms-access databases while...
Server2 (server 2008) is hosting 1 of the 3 ms-access databases.

I've revised the code to skip each database (run one at a time) and narrowed down the server2008 hosted db as the culprit.
I still don't understand why all the win7 pc's can access this hosted database fast, while the win8 box takes 20 minutes. If I manually open and search this access db from win8, ms access application, the speed is fine; only a problem when accessing the DB via vba to server 2008 from a win8 pc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back