Auto Insert Date, Time and User Name of Last Modification

aamartin

Hello all,

I have a basic understanding of Excel and it's features and have modified very basic VBA code in the past. Okay, so I've built a work schedule encompassing a four week period with various employees and the workbook ("W1 - July 2015 Schedule") is shared amongst various supervisors. I've searched for a VBA code that will automatically insert the Date, Time and User Name of the excel user who last modified any part of the schedule in Cell "T56" in every sheet modified in this format "Revised: 06/30/2015 at 09:52 PM by John Doe" - John Doe being the registered Excel user not the computer user name. I'd like the results to be inserted into the specified cell so it can been seen by all users upon opening the file, rather than having to view the Print Preview. I've found similar code that appeared to do what I need, but haven't been able to make it work in my workbook.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
i think it is environ(username) for the user in VBA and if you just insert the value of Now() that can be formatted as date and time. I presume you will be doing that from VBA

whats your code, post it here

Upvote 0
i think it is environ(username) for the user in VBA and if you just insert the value of Now() that can be formatted as date and time. I presume you will be doing that from VBA

whats your code, post it here

Sub UserName()
Sheets("PP 17 - 18").Range("T56").Value = Environ("username")
End Sub

This is the code I have that inserts the data I need in a cell. I had other code, but was written to insert the data into a footer/header, which I don't want. There have been others that I trashed when I couldn't make it work. I think this code is similar to what you are suggesting, but is there a way to show the user name registered to excel, rather than the pc user name? Again, my ideal result is "Revised: 06/30/2015 at 09:52 PM by John Doe"

I think this code is specific to a worksheet. Will it work the same in a workbook? Does it matter much?

Thanks for you quick response and help!

Upvote 0
To get username from Excel , use Application.UserName[

Code:
strMsg = "Revised: " & Date & " at " & Time & " by " & Application.UserName

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That worked nicely!

My current code is now:

Sub UserName()
Sheets("PP 17 - 18").Range("B56").Value = Application.UserName
End Sub

How do you suggest I get Date and Time of modification to get a response of "Revised: 06/30/2015 at 09:52 PM by John Doe"?

Thank you!!

Upvote 0
Code:
strMsg = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response.

How do I reference a specific cell to show the results? I understand the code and it looks like it will produce what I need, but making it work is way outside of my experience level.

Upvote 0

How do I reference a specific cell to show the results? I understand the code and it looks like it will produce what I need, but making it work is way outside of my experience level.

Code:
strMsg = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName

Upvote 0
Refer to range in active sheet:

Code:
Activesheet.Range("T56") = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName

Since you want to enter this text in cell T56 of a sheet every time a user modifies that sheet, you can enter this code in SheetChange event.

1. Press Alt+F11
2. In Project Explorer pane on left, double click on ThisWorkbook node (Press Ctrl+R if Project Explorer is not shown)
3.Paste this code:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    Sh.Range("T56") = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName
End Sub

Upvote 0
Refer to range in active sheet:

Code:
Activesheet.Range("T56") = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName

Since you want to enter this text in cell T56 of a sheet every time a user modifies that sheet, you can enter this code in SheetChange event.

1. Press Alt+F11
2. In Project Explorer pane on left, double click on ThisWorkbook node (Press Ctrl+R if Project Explorer is not shown)
3.Paste this code:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
    Sh.Range("T56") = "Revised: " & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & " at " & Format(Time, "hh:mm AMPM") & " by " & Application.UserName
End Sub

I'm getting a Macro dialog box - any ideas?

I was going to insert screen shot, but apparently cant post those.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyDarR

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back