activex failing to execute depending on file location

RAYLWARD102

Office 365 Business applications; specifically, Excel 2016, have trust center settings allowing users to add trusted locations. I’ve added our network server share to ‘Trusted Locations’, ticking the box ‘Allow trusted locations on my network’; I’ve also ticked an additional box ‘Subfolders of this location are also trusted’; I’ve also ticked a box under trusted documents ‘Allow documents on a network to be trusted’. Under ActiveX settings, ticked ‘Enable all controls without restrictions and without prompting’ (not recommended but had to get my activeX controls operational)
With the trust center configured this way, I have a workbook on my file server (on specified trusted network), containing ActiveX controls that will not execute; No notifications are received, only Microsoft Visual Basic Run Time error ‘91’. Macros will run correctly, but activeX controls fail to load. If the user saves the workbook to their local drive (c:\users\userprofile\desktop), the activeX controls load and execute as they should. This problem began about 5months ago and seems to be related to Office updates.
I've contacted office support and have had no luck in solving this issue. Anybody else coming across similar issues?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I just went through this issue with the DTPicker activeX control. It would load on older versions of Excel but not the new ones. I had to download the ocx file, install it in my C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder and register it in the registry (using admin privileges). Works now.

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0
Attempted to replicate MrIfOnly's findings; searched *.ocx files from the application directory, but found 298 files; not sure which one I would move to syswow and register.
Then I attempted to find the VBE references path to exact files by
Code:
ThisWorkbook.VBProject.References.AddFromGuid", "Path")
The returned results were paths to .dll files; no names similar to the 298 ocx files. I'm a little unsure as to how to proceed with this. Could you explain a little more?

Upvote 0
Ok...step-by-step: (this installed the DTPicker control on my Windows10 computer using Excel2016.)
1. Find and download the file (MSCOMCT2.OCX) from here: OcxDump - free ocx files. download ocx files you need immediately. (alternatively, you can copy the file from the hard drive of the computer that the activeX control works on, most likely in the \Windows\System32 folder).
2. Install the file in the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder.
3. Run the following at the command prompt with admin privileges: regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx
4. Open Excel and go to Visual Basic->Tools->References.
5. Click "Browse" and navigate to the \Windows\SysWOW64 folder. (Be sure to select "All Files" or "ActiveX Controls" for file type.)
6. Click on the MSCOMCT2.OCX file. Click Open.
7. In the References dialog, click OK.
8. Your controls should reappear and you should see them when you go to Additional Controls in the toolbox.

If that file didn't install the control(s) you need, try to find which file contains it and follow the above steps.

Regards,

CJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweetkt327

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back