Copy Format of a Pivot Chart

tcalleia

I have a pivot chart that I perfected and I want to use again but change the values from units to dollars. Simply copying the columns of the pivot table and chart together and pasting elsewhere lets me change the pivot table but the chart is not connected. When I choose select data on the copied chart the "Chart data range" is greyed out. Is there a way to do this?

I'm using Excel 2010.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
I would add a unit column to the pivot table. Then either add a new series for units to the existing chart on a secondary y-axis, or create another linked pivot chart and use the existing chart as a template. When you create a pivot chart, you can create from template. So save the one you have formatted as a template and re-use it.

Upvote 0
tpbond1 Thanks for helping me:)

When I add another series in the table, I can't get rid of it in the chart without also removing it from the table. Not sure if I'm missing something in your explanation?

But... You have opened a new world for me with Chart Templates. I've always just copied charts and changed source data- but that doesn't work for Pivot Charts. Creating a new pivot chart and using a template from the other worked beautifully:)

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Pivot charts are a whole different animal. I wrote a tutorial last year: Working with Pivot Charts in Excel.

To link a pivot chart to a different pivot table requires a few steps.

1. Copy the original pivot chart, and paste it into a different workbook. This unlinks the chart from the pivot table, but still displays the data. But being unlinked, the data is static, and no longer changes when the pivot table changes.

2. Copy this new unlinked chart, and paste it next to the new pivot table.

3. Select the chart, and click the Select Data button on the Chart Tools > Design tab. Click in the Chart Source Data box, then click on the pivot table, then click OK.

Then again, a chart template might be what you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh I see- I need to paste into another workbook to break the link- and then back again!

That works beautifully:)

Jon- Thanks for the step by step instructions and for your blog link:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back