Multiple data mail merge, HELP!!

nicole327

Ok, so I am trying to send out letters to students showing them how many missing assignments they have. I want to transfer this information using a mail merge. Is this possible? Some students have 2 some have 4 or 5. I want to transfer what assignments they are missing. Here is an example.

Student Name CoursePeriod AssignmentDue DateScoreTeacher
Smith,John J6319B - 2 SPAN 1B8 Stem Change Practice PacketJan 9, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Montalvo
Smith, JohnJ811 - 3 Math 85b Volume of Cones Jan 8, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Dasilva
White, NicoleJ0211B - 3 ALG 1B4b 4-1 HW Graphing Ineq # 1-10Jan 4, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Sloan
White, NicoleJ804 - 2 English 8 PreAP3 Independent Reading Intro Page #!Jan 4, 2018 12:00:00 AMMHannam
Doe, JaneJ802E - 4 English 82 "Landlady" QuestionsJan 5, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Walls
Doe, JaneJ832 - 9 Science 8 PreAP4b Pressure and Hurricanes Canvas HWJan 8, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Niedens
Smith, KevinJ832 - 1 Science 8 PreAP8 Pressure and Hurricanes Canvas HWJan 8, 2018 12:00:00 AM0.00Niedens
Smith, KevinJ811 - 9 Math 85b ThrowBack Thursday HWJan 8, 2018 12:00:00 AMMSnyder
Smith, KevinJ811 - 9 Math 85b Volume of Cones HWJan 8, 2018 12:00:00 AMMSnyder

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Upvote 0
I have tried the tutorials but no luck! Is there someone that can walk me through it or help me with the formulas?

Upvote 0
My post at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-to-word/faf881a0-718b-4b40-80a1-efca588df290 describes multiple ways of doing what you want. It even provides links to working examples from my tutorial. As my post in the link says:
most of the hard work has already been done for you - you should be able to do little more than copy/paste the relevant field codes into your own mailmerge main document, substitute/insert your own field names and adjust the formatting to get the results you desire.
The link also refers to alternative methods using the DATABASE field. I've more recently added yet another approach using a DATABASE field. In this case, if your workbook has a separate sheet with just a single instance of each of the grouping criteria, a DATABASE field in a normal ‘letter’ mailmerge main document could be used without the need for a macro. An outline of this approach can be found at:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...gle-page/4edb4654-27e0-47d2-bd5f-8642e46fa103
For a working example, see:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/37844-mail-merge-using-one-excel-file-multiple.html

Upvote 0
I have tried the tutorials but no luck! Is there someone that can walk me through it or help me with the formulas?
Typical Microsoft, but the first page I linked to doesn't show the crucial field codes (MERGESEQ, MERGEFIELD, etc.) so is completely useless.

Instead, I followed the steps at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...create-a-list-sorted-by-category-in-word-2000, which produced the following field codes for your data:

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD Student_Name \* Upper }" ""}{ SET Name1 { MERGEFIELD Student_Name } }<Enter>
{ IF { Name1 } <> { Name2 }"
------ Page Break ------
{ MERGEFIELD Student_Name \* Upper }<Enter>
{ MERGEFIELD Course } { MERGEFIELD Period } { MERGEFIELD Assignment }" "{ MERGEFIELD Course } { MERGEFIELD Period } { MERGEFIELD Assignment }" }{ SET Name2 { MERGEFIELD Student_Name } }<Enter>

Note: The column A heading in your Excel data is "Student Name" and this must be typed as Student_Name when typing in the field code 'script'. Also, the first name in the data is missing a space between "Smith," and "John". I've only used 3 of your data columns above.

The mail merge worked perfectly for me. You have to be very careful when typing in the text and field codes. Start by typing Ctrl+F9 to get the opening and closing field braces, then type IF space, then Ctrl+F9, then MERGESEQ, then move the cursor after the first closing brace, then type space = space "1", etc. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back