Rolling calculation per account

KyleHansen

I'm putting a monthly sales report together that we'll send our sales people, and what my end goal is, is a pivot that list the Salespeople, their Accounts, and then their sales across different periods, something like this for February, and have the report created each month with a rolling calculation in there. It seems like it should be simple aggregation, but.... I can't seem to get the columns to add up.

For reference - I work at a mortgage company so:
Sales = Funded mortgages
Submissions = total incoming deals
Funded = # of submissions that funded

What I need my pivot to look like is:

January Sales | January Submissions | January Funded (Units) | Current YTD $ | Last Year YTD $ | Last Year Total Sales $
Salesperson 1
Account 1
Account 2
Account 3
Salesperson 2
Account 1
Account 2
Account 3

The data table I have looks like this, both DateRecieved and FundedDate are linked to separate date tables.

DealReceivedDate | Account | Salesperson | DealStatus (status' are: Cancelled, Declined, Funded) | MortgageAmount | FundedDate (only shows a date if the mortgage funded)

So in the sales columns, I need it to calculate the total sales in a period, of deals that are funded, and have that date move every month.

I've got the following measures:

Total Sales
Last Year Sales

For Previous Year YTD, I tried: =calculate([Total Funded], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(datesytd(dimFundedDate[Calendar Date])))
, but... I know I'm missing something in there.

For Previous month, I tried PREVIOUSMONTH but returned nothing as well..

Unfortunately I can't share the workbook because of the information in it, but can provide general data... if anyone can help it would be much appreciated! I've been stuck on this all week!

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Try breaking the problem into manageable pieces.
First create YTD this year that works before you move to last year.

YTD=CALCULATE([Total Sales],datesytd(calendar[date]))

put it it in a pivot with months on rows and total sales in values and a filter for a single year. Then add the new YTD and check it works. Once it is working, then do the time shift for YTD LY

YTD LY = CALCULATE([YTD], sameperiodlastyear(calendar[date]))

you you may like to consider reading my book - it covers this topic as well as many others you will come across in an easy to learn framework. Http://xbi.com.au/learndax

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey Matt, thanks for the reply - I'm way ahead of you and have picked up both yours and Rob Collies books (both have supercharged me from where I was at).

I have tried those calculations and they haven't worked - so my assumption is I'm doing something wrong along the way. I'll give it another shot and may end up reaching out for some consulting work as I have a deadline I'm working with.

Cheers, Kyle

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back