Having trouble sharing Excel tables with other workbooks?

mattbird

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

Is there anyone how knows how to share an Excel table? I have a table which I would like to share with other workbooks but when I click the share workbook it says:

'This workbook can not be shared because it contains Excel tables or XML maps. To share this workbook, convert the table ranges and remove the XML maps.'

I would like to use the Excel table as it automatically transfer formulas to the next row, if I convert the table range, I will have to copy and past my formulas into a new row every time I add one. I am not sure what XML maps are?

I am currently using Excel 2007 on Win8.

Please could someone help......

Matt

FWIW, this
Code:
Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("G:G")
can just be this
Code:
Set rng = Range("G:G")
since that's equivalent to Me.Range("G:G") ;)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
FWIW, this
Code:
Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("G:G")
can just be this
Code:
Set rng = Range("G:G")
since that's equivalent to Me.Range("G:G") ;)

Yeah, I used to do that, but I've had it that way for years ever since Tom Urtis suggested it.

Upvote 0
Can I ask why? I don't see any benefit - am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Can I ask why? I don't see any benefit - am I missing something?

I think the way he explained it was that it was a more explicit reference, which I thought was overkill since the Change event is already referring to the target sheet. I'll see if I can dig up the post where he gave the justification, but it's been years (it was here though).

Upvote 0
Still noting is happening I think I have followed your instruction correctly but unsure now? Can I send you a copy of my table so you can see it for yourself? if so can you give me the link to copy it to? Thanks

Matt

Upvote 0
Smitty,

did you received my email with the table attached? If not let me know and I will have to re-send it.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I think it is working. I'm going to have a mess around filling in the table and I will let you know. Thanks for you help so far. One question, when I protected the sheet it says I cant use the copy code how do I protect the cells that I don't want others to click on?

Upvote 0
You can add this to the existing code:

Activesheet.Unprotect "PasswordGoesHere"
' Code
Activesheet.Protect "PasswordGoesHere"

You might want to post the code as it stands now, just in case someone else finds it helpful.

Upvote 0
I have added it to the bottom of the existing code. but it still stops the cell from copying if I protect the sheet first. If I fill out the sheet whilst unprotected it then protects the sheet after column M has data in it, but the next row when I fill it out it comes up with the same message as before and won't copy the cells. Where about's is the best place to place the new code in the existing code?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back