2 Workbooks, one VBA UserForm

TechAgent007

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So, somehow I was able to get the list to show up like I wanted. then I wanted to do better, deleted the code aaaaaaaaaand it won't work. Now I can't even get the RowSource to work with the Name Manger dynamic range I set up. At one point I could get a click event to run but not return anything. No errors. Now nothing. I've added an image to give you an idea. I will not be able to upload the code as it contains work sensitive data locations (customer data)

This user form works PERFECT for entering data into the "database." I just updated it to prevent blank entries. So I CAN call external locations on a click event.

I want to open the form and have the list populated and filter as you type in either Check# or E-mail

OR

I want a list populated by value on click.

HOW DO I
- call to the external workbook to populate the listbox when it opens? I need the first 3columns out of 7 and have the properties set in the UserForm (also image attached). When I got it to work it appeared beautifully. I had used a custom formula because it's a table that will grow as time passes:
=OFFSET('directorylocation\[DATABASE.xlsm]DATABASE'!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA('directorylocation\[DATABASE.xlsm]DATABASE'!$A:$A)-1,3)

- Get a click event to actually display results in the listbox?

The listbox is ONLY for display and there will be no editing done. Am I even using the right object? I feel really dumb here ?

1644989374198.png
1644988959005.png

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
So, I realized I saved the Name Formula in the wrong Workbook. So I saved it there. I got it to open the file and return all the values on click event. But not the entered text...
1645165852978.png

However, the way I got it to access the workbook fully opened it. Which I want to avoid.

Open (not visible) > search > return results > close database.xlsm

I used Workbooks.Open "[PATH]" and then changed it as I don't want to actually visibly open. Now I don't think it is actually opening.

I changed the Name Formula thinking I wasn't calling the right sheet. And now I get this:
1645166905253.png

Is anyone able to help here?

I have reworked this to remove company/customer info.
I did use Option Explicit

VBA Code:
Private Sub cmdSearch1_Click()
Dim RowNum As Long
Dim SearchRow As Long
Dim App As New Excel.Application
Dim wBook As Excel.Workbook
Dim FileName As String
RowNum = 2
SearchRow = 2
FileName = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\DATABASE.xlsm"
Set wBook = App.Workbooks.Open(FileName)

App.Visible = False

With wBook.Sheets("DATABASE")

Do Until Cells(RowNum, 1).Value = ""
    If InStr(1, Cells(RowNum, 1).Value, txtChecksearch.Value, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then
        Worksheets("Results").Cells(SearchRow, 1).Value = Cells(RowNum, 1).Value
        Worksheets("Results").Cells(SearchRow, 2).Value = Cells(RowNum, 2).Value
        Worksheets("Results").Cells(SearchRow, 3).Value = Cells(RowNum, 3).Value
        SearchRow = SearchRow + 1
    End If
    RowNum = RowNum + 1
Loop

If SearchRow = 2 Then
    MsgBox "No results with your criteria."
    Exit Sub
End If

lstSearchResults.RowSource = "SearchResults"

End With

wBook.Close Savechanges:=True

App.Quit

Set App = Nothing

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
I am working on a very similar situation and like you, am waiting to see a solution. I am using an identical "If Instr " statement along with vbTextCompare to get my results. I am attempting to search an "external" spreadsheet and return the results to a ListBox, .... based on the user's Input to the TextBox.

It works very well, in fact, TOO well - LOL. It returns EVERY record rather than ONLY the Rows of the records that match the TextBox.Value. I am hoping somebody who sees this message can straighten it out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back