2Qs on large data excel dump

questforexcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have 2 questions on working around large data dumps in excel.

First - how to reduce the file size? My file is a data dump of about 200K records. The original file size was 100MB managed to reduce it to 50MB by saving it in Binary format.

Is there any possibility to reduce the file size further? The file only has pivots.

Second - When working across a large data dump is there a more efficient way to work around the pivot table Values field. I.e. Every time i click on a figure on the value field, is it possible to only highlight and show that column figures and corresponding details rather than pulling out every detail of all other columns.

In simple terms - is there a better way to analyse details of a summary pivot table based on large data dumps

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi,

In the pivot data settings you can play a bit with these settings:
1590521022406.png

Without saving the source data with file, the pivot cache is cleared. This also means slicers, show detail, filtering do no longer work. If that's needed, the refresh data on opening will restore the cache. Consider the refresh time.

Not sure about your second question what you mean. Maybe slicers are an option? Or moving on to Power Pivot to enable drill down. But that all together is a different story.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back