3 tier drop down lists

Bill Morris

Hi

I am trying to create a 3-tier dependant dropdown list system

Dropdown 1 = Supplier (Many of)
Dropdown 2 = Material Type (Approx 20 of, but not all suppliers supply all materials)
Dropdown 3 - Material grade (Many of but Unique to supplier/material combo - eg Material grade ABC123 is Material Type 'ABS' which is supplied by 'iPolymers.com'.

Supplier A could supply many Material Types. Each Material Type may be available in a number of different grades.

I am trying to set it up so that I:
  • select a supplier using Dropdown 1
  • The Material Types they sell appear in Dropdown 2
  • The Material Grades of Material Type selected from the selected Supplier appear in Dropdown 3.

Thanks if you have any idea how to tackle this.

:confused::confused::confused:

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
A tough nut to crack, always wanted to know how to do this ?! I've done a look up for a Single Tier.

Upvote 0
Hi,

The formula to use is the dropdown list is =indirect(A1) if list 1 is in A1

So that when I name John, Pierre & Jean as "marketing", Chrisophe and Laurent as "Finance" and Tania, Aurélie and Dona as "Sales"
DepartementMarketingFinanceSales
MarketingJohnChristopheTania
FinancePierreLaurentAurélie
SalesJeanDona
Alexandre

<tbody>
</tbody>
if I select Marketing in dropdown 1, I have people from Marketing. For this list to be dynamic (increase when I add names), I use tables (insert menu then table) instead if lists.

In your case, because you have many suppliers and naming ranges would become a nightmare (unless you can easily put the data as in my simple example and have a macro to do it), I guess I would create a table (difficult to make it dynamic so count the maximum lines required) which would list the material available for the selected supplier to be used as list 2 (using vlookup or index,match,match depending on how your data is set up).
Another option could be to create a macro (private sub when using droplist 1) to update a pivot table with selected supplier in filter and that would give you available material for the supplier to insert in list 2; same for list 3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back