A dynamic indirect function..?

in_d

Hi all,

I have tried to search for an answer, but with no luck!

In a spreadsheet I have a tab named 'ProjectsSummary' which holds a table called 'tbl_ProjectSummary'. Within that table, there is a column called [Project Name] which has a list of all the projects I am tracking.

Within the same workbook, each project has it's own worksheet, which is named exactly the same as the entry in 'tbl_ProjectSummary[Project Name]'. Within each worksheet, I have a named range called 'Resources' which lists the names of the resources who are working on the projects.

My desire is to create another worksheet with a summary of the resources which will show the number of projects they are working on, which I want to achieve through a combination of a sumproduct and indirect functions (sumproduct so that I can add some further criteria to the formula later).

I have started by using an indirect function to list all of the projects in the workbook using:

Code:
=INDIRECT("tbl_ProjectSummary[Project Name]")

which gives:

{"Project1";"Project2"}

I have no idea how to progress the next step which will then reference the 'Resources' named range on each of the project worksheets and check, using a sumproduct, if the name is present i.e.

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT("tbl_ProjectSummary[Project Name]")[COLOR=#ff0000]&Resources[/COLOR])="Simon"))

=SUMPRODUCT(--({"[COLOR=#ff0000]Project1!Resources[/COLOR]";"[COLOR=#ff0000]Project2!Resources[/COLOR]"})="Simon"))

=SUMPRODUCT(--({[COLOR=#ff0000]"Simon";"Paul";"David";"John";"Simon";"John";"Greg";"Dave"[/COLOR]})="Simon"))

=2

Where the bits in red are what I am expecting to see! It all falls apart from me when I try to include the 'Resources' named range!

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide!!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Supposing in F8 you have Simon

=SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT("project1!resources")=F8))+SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT( "project2!resources")=F8))

will give the number of time simon appeared in resources on project1 and in resources on project2

The names resources have a worksheet scope .

Hope this is useful.

Upvote 0
Does this work for you?

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT(tbl_ProjectSummary[Project Name]&"!Resources"),"Simon"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back