'A Weird One - Sums don't Work

Marty1111

All -

I've been using my version of Excel 2003 for four years now and yesterday all of a sudden when I changed a cell included in a range; the cell with the sum of the range did not change. I had to go to the formula bar, double click on it and only then wld the sum cell change.

In addition to the range sum problem, if I have a =+E5+E4+E3+E2... my total will not change if the values of the cells change. Again, I have to open the formula bar and double click in order to get the correct total of all the cells.

Also, I checked this out in other files - so it doesn't appear to be just one corrupted file.

I tried searching the database and cldn't find this problem mentioned; I also noted that it is not mentioned frequently with a Google search of the net either. Anyone see this b4? And more importantly, what might be the fix? Also, I did just get my updates done on my computer concurrently with this problem arising. Maybe it is a result of some type of virus or an updated Windows problem.

Thanks 4 any help - Marty :confused:

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Sounds like Calculation is set to Manaual.

Go to Tools > Options > Calculation and set it to Automatic.

Alternatively, you could press F9...

Matty

Upvote 0
You guys r fast! Hey, it wasn't that it was on manual - however, when I toggled over to manual and put it back to automatic - it fixed itself.

Thanks again so much! One of these days I will be of help to someone too...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back