Recovering Excel File

jdpro

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi, I have a file that I use regularly. Suddenly, today, I am getting an error message that I cannot access the file. "Alert Excel cannot open the file '(~$file name.xlsx)' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

Is there anything I can do to recover this file? Also, is there something wrong with my computer like a virus or something that may have caused this problem that I should address?

Thank you very much for any help.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Have you tried
  1. Click File > Open.
  2. Click the location and folder that contains the corrupted workbook.
  3. In the Open dialog box, select the corrupted workbook.
  4. Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
  5. To recover as much of the workbook data as possible, pick Repair.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, Michael. I'm using Mac so that does make a difference, but when I try to open the file following instructions similar to what you post above, the error message states that "the workbook is either deleted or not currently accessible." It's not in the trash. I'm afraid that I may have really lost this file. Apple Support was not able to help and suggested I reach out to Excel so that's why I posted here (though I know this isn't Excel tech support).

Upvote 0
Is you Mac almost out of space ?
If so you may need to reduce some of your files.
Also, have you looked under users / your name for the file.
And finally, have you seached for the file using the search box, it may have inadvertently been moved.

Upvote 0
Thanks again, Michael. I appreciate your efforts. I have to press on since the file is really gone. It was a beauty, too! :) Thankfully I can recreate the structure from a template I made and just move forward.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that, Have you checked the recycle bin. Didn't you have a backup file ??....otherwise...:mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Yes, it's a big disappointment! I was not backing it up to a separate location, and I kept it locally so not on OneDrive. My only real backup was the template which I'm glad that I had that so I didn't have to recreate the whole thing from scratch. From now on I'll be copying those files to another drive periodically. Just got complacent and paid the price.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back